Oh where to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
Myself and the mrs are looking at planning a week away without the kids this year,we have never done it before and are looking for ideas as we just dont know where to go.Heres some requirements and hopefully we can get some great ideas from people who have more experience of places.
We are wanting to take our road bikes and stay at a camp site,either tent or caravan.We dont mind the odd hill here and there but are wanting to ride in very picturesque surroundings,nice country pubs etc.We have been looking at Cornwall,Lake district and Devon so far.Also Wales has been discussed but we dont want to spend all day climbing hills.
Any ideas greatfully recieved.:thumbsup:
Oh btw we are in Bedfordshire so want to go further afield,i originally come from Kent so dont want to go there either.

Why not head Northwards to York only about 150-170 miles, Then get a train back that will give you a fairly flat start

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Why not head Northwards to York only about 150-170 miles, Then get a train back that will give you a fairly flat start
Cheers for that mate,what we were thinking was travelling by car to a destination,staying at a caravan park etc the exploring from there on the bikes:thumbsup:

lulubel

Über Member
I wouldn't go to Cornwall if you don't want to spend all day climbing hills. You'll spend a lot more time climbing them than riding down them, and flat roads in Cornwall are quite small in number.

Brains

Legendary Member
Picturesque and Flat are not two words normally found in the same sentence.
Devon, Cornwall, Lakes and Wales are all picturesque and none could be described as flat

How about going to the near continent ? The Loire for example, it's flat if you stick to the river, loads of camp sites and more picturesque fairyland castles than any other place in the world

It also has good weather, cheap wine, good roads, low traffic density and loads of things to see and do.
It you book a ferry now it could be a cheaper option than the UK.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Get your passports out and head for holland, we did it last year and we are planning another trip at the moment, we did not camp but i would have thought there is plenty of camping over there,

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There's some great cycling to be had in Weardale, Wensleydale, Swaledale and Teesdale. All are relatively quiet.

Alternatively the East Yorkshire/Lincolnshire wolds are worth exploring.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Train to St Pancras and then to Dover
Ferry to Calais
Ride up the coast through France, Belgium and part of the Netherlands
Ferry back to Harwich
Train back home.
That's four countries cycled in a week!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Failing that, the Borders are highly scenic, but not especially renowned for their flatness.
It is possible for the gravitationally-disinclined to get some miles in without entirely losing the will to live.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'll second the suggestion of the Netherlands. It's an easy overnight trip on the ferry, and if you like it flat and cyclist-friendly, you can't do much better than the Netherlands. And if you can find a Dutch person unwilling to show off their English, you'll be doing better than I ever have.

Otherwise, TickTock's suggestion of York is good. Try one of the campsites near Sheriff Hutton or Strensall. York's an easy ride from there, and you have the Vale of York to one side if you like it flat, and the Moors and the Wolds on the other for when you get bored of flatness. From the edges of the hilly bits, you get good views of the flat bits.

(I might live quite near Sheriff Hutton or Strensall, so if you decide to do that, contact me again for some ideas for day rides).

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Liking the sound of York,we're not shy of the hills and actually do enjoy the challenge they can pose but just dont want to do more climbing than anything else.We are also planning our honeymoon for later this year and thats when we'll be looking at the continent although there are so many places here that we hav'nt been to yet.Many thanks for all the suggestions so far :thumbsup:

Top Bottom