Oil on brake discs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
My 15 year old son decided to prevent the discs on his MTB from getting rusty by applying some 3 in 1 oil he found in the garage <sigh>.

I've managed to wipe it off the discs, but the brakes are still pretty ineffectual. I guess it's all over the pads.

Is there an easy fix? Would a squirt of brake cleaner do it, or is it a case of getting new pads?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Citius

new pads please...and book your lad onto a course in applied logic...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Although I suspect it is new pads time and a bit of time on the discs, I have heard that putting the pads in a dishwasher can help - however, I would be surprised if it helps with 3 in 1.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
meths or a proper solvent like carbon tetrachloride (fairly nast stuff), or acetone - and some vigorous scrubbing with a kitchen scourer or wire wool.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thanks all for your help - looks like it'll have to be new pads.

If the brakes were applied whilst lubricated with 3-in-1, the discs will need deglazing too. It is a nice elbow-grease and sore finger job that will suit the perpetrator just fine as a gentle punishment/reminder.

What should I (or rather he!) use for the deglazing?

Drago

Legendary Member
You cant try heating them in the oven to help the volatiles to evaporate, but 9 out of 10 you'll need new pads.

Emery cloth to deglaze, not too fine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No need for new pads; put them in the dishwasher on the hottest wash. There's nothing more degreasing than dishwash detergent, which is caustic enough to pit the surface of shiny bike parts made from aluminium alloy. Guess how I know this?

Clean the discs with IPA or glass cleaner then hot water with detergent. Or the other way round if you like.

Tim Hall

I often suggest people do what the OP's son did when the ask "how can I stop my brakes squeaking". Then I ask do they want them silent AND capable of stopping, in which case another method is required.

Top Bottom