Oil or specific chain lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Just putting the question out there amongst the cycle chat populous.
In summer I use dry lube and in winter wet lube.I mickle the chain every week and apply fresh lube.
Years ago we all used normal oil.
What are the benefits of specific lube (not brand specific),over oil from an oil can.
Mickleing of the chain would still be done at the same intervals as the bike/s are my daily commute to work transport.
Just curious.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Specific chain lubes have the advantage of allowing the manufacturer to charge a high price for something cheap to make.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have been using Wilkinson's premium multi-purpose cycle lube for a few years now. Lubricates well but picks up muck and goes black very quickly. I invested in some Muc Off ceramic wet lube and it lubricates just as well but goes black at about 1/3 of the rate.

Gunk

Guru
I don’t think it really matters what you use as long as you clean, degrease and oil regularly. Some of the stuff we buy and sell is shocking, mainly because the chain is dry as a bone and the bike has been left outside. The 3 in 1 Aerosol is good for very neglected drivetrains.

Personally I like the Muc-off wet lube, I also use it on my motorcycle chain.

3DDA3FFC-157F-4C18-977A-10648A824796.jpeg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I also like the Muc Off wet lube, it performs well and it smells amazing which pleases me for some reason. But I've used Halfords bike lube at half the price and it also did the same job.

I think the main difference between lubes now, and the old fashioned oils is that the modern ones are synthetic? Less viscous too, more likely to be biodegradable. Oil would still work perfectly well though.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Even high mileage you use so little oil a year economics doesn’t really come in to it. I just put a single drop of wet lube per roller on the chain and that usually sees 500 miles or so. I don’t bother with dry lube in this country, a bit of rain and you’re oiling again. Just wipe off excess oil after leaving it on chain for 30 mins or so. Stops wet lube chains picking up dirt.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Eh, I just use chain saw oil.

If it works on my chain saws, it works on my bikes. :laugh: I buy it by the gallon from the local agricultural supply place. ^_^
Isn't that rather thick and muck-holding? I lean towards gear oil but I'm using up most of the bike oil I've been given. Except the Finish Line Ceramic Wax. That lasts about a mile in fen silt then sounds like a tank track.

Isn't that rather thick and muck-holding? I lean towards gear oil but I'm using up most of the bike oil I've been given. Except the Finish Line Ceramic Wax. That lasts about a mile in fen silt then sounds like a tank track.

Actually, no, it's not *that* gloopy... OK, it's probably a little thicker than pukka bike oil, but it works well and actually, doesn't attract as much muck as you'd think. The trick is to use one rag to apply generously, leave for a bit, spin the transmission a few times to make sure it gets to where it needs to get to, then use another rag to wipe off the excess.

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
My question was are there any real differences.Before the specific chain lubes came into play,we managed with light oil.
Interesting thread though.

Top Bottom