Oil the chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
Chain oiling attracts debates of religious fervour on cycle forums. I'd say once a week on a daily use commuter, wipe off the excess with a rag. My test is to wipe it with a finger. If something greasy comes off it, leave it alone, if it's dry then stick a bit on.

Cue flame war...it will wear out faster...it's just grinding paste...your world will end...

Davidc

Guru
battered said:
Chain oiling attracts debates of religious fervour on cycle forums. I'd say once a week on a daily use commuter, wipe off the excess with a rag. My test is to wipe it with a finger. If something greasy comes off it, leave it alone, if it's dry then stick a bit on.

Cue flame war...it will wear out faster...it's just grinding paste...your the world will end...

There - that's more like it for oiling chains - at least it isn't helmets!

Davidc

Guru
battered said:
OK, it's started. Comfy chair. Popcorn. A fresh drink. :-)

You can watch the whole of Wombledon as well, the debate's bound to rage for at least 2 weeks.

Where's FF with the Mickle Method - he's slow today.....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I oil mine when I dont like the sounds it makes, probly a bit to late as the noise is an indicator of friction, but I am lazy in relation to this type of task.

battered

Guru
You can't be *that* lazy if you ride a bike. Just organise it differently. Leave a can of 3 in 1/your favourite lube near the bike. Once a week, squirt a bit at some bit of the chain as you take it out. Ride it. If an excess of black gunge appears later in the week, wipe it off with a rag. Gear jockeys have an advantage here as th jockey wheels collect the gunge in crusts that you can scrape off with a stick. Singlies will have to scrape it off the chainwheel roots, or not bother.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Im not lazy in the riding, just lazy in the cleaning and maintenance, if I were to buy an upgade I'd have the bike in bits and be putting the upgrade on asap with excitement, but when its something like oiling the chain, im pretty blasse about it.

Rob3rt said:
Im not lazy in the riding, just lazy in the cleaning and maintenance, if I were to buy an upgade I'd have the bike in bits and be putting the upgrade on asap with excitement, but when its something like oiling the chain, im pretty blasse about it.

Does a new chain qualify as an upgrade?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Probly, since my chain is probly some cheap ass thing, its the off the peg chain on a £330 track bike, its KMC, no idea about good chains, I'll find out about them when I need a new one (which by default will be within about 6 months after the whole bike has been stripped, sprayed and upgraded) :becool:

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I clean my chain when it looks like it needs it. I have one of those bath things with brushes in that clips to the chain. Muc-Off in that appears to do the trick. Then to re-lube I use Green Oil Chain Lube. I also have a bottle of Green Oil Degreaser that im yet to try. A claw brush is also good for de-gunging the cassette etc ;)

Top Bottom