Oil? Varnish? What would you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My daughter's much-loved little folding garden chairs are worn out. :sad:

1638457248563.png

The plan is to revive them for her as a Christmas pressie. :smile:

I've got the material and now the only real question is what to do about the wood. I'm thinking a light going over with fine sandpaper, then a couple of coats of....what? Teak oil? Ronseal? They can expect to be left outside overnight and that sort of thing. All advice welcome & much appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thing is with teak oil you'll need to let it dry thoroughly before applying the fabric. I use it on my decking as the oil lasts and looks better than traditional decking paints.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thing is with teak oil you'll need to let it dry thoroughly before applying the fabric. I use it on my decking as the oil lasts and looks better than traditional decking paints.
That doesn't sound very encouraging, Christmas-wise. :sad: I was a little concerned about oil on something people are going to be sitting on. Leaning towards varnish...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've used yacht varnish on all my partner's wooden things (planters, benches etc). It does hold up very well with 3 coats. You;ll need a good finish on the wood because it's transparent it will show up any imperfections. It does have a yellow tinge which I'd say is the only downside. You could stain it and varnish over it, but not sure how that would look. Maybe test a piece of scrap first. It is quite expensive but is very durable, I doubt you'd have to varnish it again for a good few years

"Teak oil" should never be used on teak. It is not oil from teak, it has solvent, it will dissolve oil from teak wood.
For other outdoor wood, some kind of varnish.
Yatch varnish is more flexible than polyurathane floor varnish so will not crack.

grldtnr

I always used linseed oil on any such wood items.
A big NO to Linseed oil , it goes black to exposed wet conditions, Danish oil is better, but you need to top coat regular.
I sail an open boat ,and use Danish oil regularly, far easier than Varnish.
You could use Woodskin , goes on like Varnish ,a semi gloss shine, but not as hard wearing.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
OSMO oil, the one designed for outdoors. Pricy, but worth every penny and a little goes a long way.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A big NO to Linseed oil , it goes black to exposed wet conditions, Danish oil is better, but you need to top coat regular.
I sail an open boat ,and use Danish oil regularly, far easier than Varnish.
You could use Woodskin , goes on like Varnish ,a semi gloss shine, but not as hard wearing.
Strange that. I have had a variety of open boats and never found that effect.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Danish oil is better, but you need to top coat regular.
I think we have a frontrunner - not least on acount of my missus said she thought we might have some linseed in the shed and we didn't but it turned out we did have Danish, which I seem to remember as being quite good. The warning on the tin is a tad disconcerting...

1638461642724.png
:eek:

...but I think I might risk it.

If you think Danish is a bad idea, I'm all ears...

Thanks all.

grldtnr

I think we have a frontrunner - not least on acount of my missus said she thought we might have some linseed in the shed and we didn't but it turned out we did have Danish, which I seem to remember as being quite good. The warning on the tin is a tad disconcerting...

View attachment 620265 :eek:

...but I think I might risk it.

If you think Danish is a bad idea, I'm all ears...

Thanks all.
Personal experience ...Linseed is far worse for spontaneous combustion,last time I used Linseed the rags were smouldering.
All plant based oils will get exothermic, but Linseed is the worst I've seen do it.
One option may be to wax?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Personal experience ...Linseed is far worse for spontaneous combustion,last time I used Linseed the rags were smouldering.
All plant based oils will get exothermic, but Linseed is the worst I've seen do it.
One option may be to wax?
Wax eh? Have to admit I didn't even consider wax. Wouldn't need to dry, wouldn't come off on clothes, hmmm... 🤔

Top Bottom