Oil? Varnish? What would you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I use an oil on my kitchen countertops. Apply a liberal amount and after 10 minutes use a dry cloth to wipe off the excess. Countertops get a lot of water on them. You can use it as often as you want, repels water, doesn't smell and doesn't stain obviously as you can put food on the countertop.. I think it is made by Ronseal. And it's clear as well.

Being a soft wood I would use a Tung oil

It would need a rubbing down (sand paper) to get any waxy residue off which will allow the oil to sink in.

Rustins Pure Tung Oil 500ml (toolstation.com)

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not totally relevant but....I made a few bits and bobs like wooden boxes and spice racks out of pallet wood and after ages arseing around with all kinds of DIY stuff, I now just finish them with veg oil and it works a treat for non-soaking-wet applications, quick, cheap and easy...and looks just fine!
The veg oil oxidizes to a polymer anyhow....

grldtnr

Not totally relevant but....I made a few bits and bobs like wooden boxes and spice racks out of pallet wood and after ages arseing around with all kinds of DIY stuff, I now just finish them with veg oil and it works a treat for non-soaking-wet applications, quick, cheap and easy...and looks just fine!
The veg oil oxidizes to a polymer anyhow....
Most probably what the old timers would have done! Why must we modern era keep reinventing the wheel?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wow - nice job, Prof! That does look like quality.

Indeed and I was rather pleased with myself. The stuff is quite pricey though - I think a litre tin was £25 but it does give a lovely finish. Used random orbit sanders for prepping going down the grits. The table had some dark brown varnish on it so there was a fair bit of prep, and the old chapel chairs were waxed.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Interesting that OSMO oil . I used danish oil on my sanded floors at start of the year but not suitably impressed with the finish. Might try that in the new year. After we do the decorating we have planned . Might need my head examined but we are going to paint our oak facings :eek:

Top Bottom