Oiling chain - how often

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

dodgy said:
It doesn't come with oil, it will have a layer of grease to prevent corrosion. You'll need to oil it on first use, if you don't, no big deal, it's not going to fall off or anything ;)

Dave.

I usually follow Sheldon's Advice and don't oil a new chain until the last vestiges of the factory supplied stuff has gone.

Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!

The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.

I also carry a small bottle of white lightning around with me on tour and oil the chain fairly regularly. It weighs next to nothing anyway.

dodgy

Who am I to doubt the great Sheldon (so I won't). Question is, why can't we buy this 'super factory lube'!?

Dave.

Maz

Guru
I never oil my chain - only ever apply lube. I found out the hard way that the combination of oil and gritty muck makes a damn good abrasive.

dodgy said:
It doesn't come with oil, it will have a layer of grease to prevent corrosion. You'll need to oil it on first use, if you don't, no big deal, it's not going to fall off or anything ;)

Dave.

I put a new chain on my bike before Pedal for Scotland, didn't bother applying lube; the weather for the run was terrible and I got some surface rust. It cleaned up OK and its still going strong.

Danny

Legendary Member
I've normally never take lube away with me when I'm touring.

However last week when I was in Wales it rained so heavily that all the lube was stripped from my chain in about two days - and that was mostly from surface water, as we stayed indoors when it was really chucking it down.

So from now on I'll bring a small bottle with me.

Dave5N

Über Member
Oil. When it needs it.

Plax

Guru
Dannyg said:
I've normally never take lube away with me when I'm touring.

However last week when I was in Wales it rained so heavily that all the lube was stripped from my chain in about two days - and that was mostly from surface water, as we stayed indoors when it was really chucking it down.

So from now on I'll bring a small bottle with me.

Yeah, sounds about right :biggrin:

I have just started wiping the chain after every ride, and lubing it every couple of days now depending on the rain. New bike so I'm trying to keep the black gunk away. Seems okay so far and only takes a few mins. I've moved to Finish Line Pro Road Lubricant and it seems very good. I didn't like the White Lightening one (Epic I think it is), and the Finish Line Cross country is another favourite of mine.
Before I used to regularly clean the chain with a Park tools chain cleaner, but didn't feel like I managed to wipe all the degreaser off. I've only cleaned the new chain once with degreaser and that was after the heavens opened on the way home, and I nearly had to swim.

Top Bottom