ok, gone clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
so the pedals (cute little A520's) are fitted, and the cleats are in the shoes (shimano m076)... would I be wise to set the pedals to the least resistance to start with... a practice in the kitched holding onto the worktop seems to suggest it might be a plan :boxing::laugh:

jon.mithe

I started using clip-less pedals 10 months ago. I didnt set them to the least resistance, but made sure to set them low enough it was easy to get my feet out of them. And yeah a practice would definitely be wise! Stationary as you said to get use to in and out but there is a difference to setting off in motion and having to clip in the other foot. Would be wise finding a quite area or road you can have a play. I got used to them very quickly so I'm sure you will.

Good luck!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Hi Johnny

I have been clipless for two tears now and every now and then I still one of those total berk moments. Usually its when the bike leans over to the left and I cant unclip in time...total wipeout.

I have shimano double sided spds and have them set on the most loose setting all the time. I have a set of regular cleats fitted, I tried the multi release option but I kept accidently unclipping as I rode.

Once you are into it though it's a no brainer and much more fun I find.

Freewheeler

johnnyh said:
hmmm a quiet road lines with cushions would suit! :boxing:

I first used clipless pedals a couple of years ago. After reading various tales of people toppling off, I decided to just ride round the block a couple of times to try them out. No sooner had I got round the first corner when a small child on a tricycle trundled into the road right in front of me. Cue emergency stop and falling over sideways.

The little lad stood there looking at me: "You fell off your bike". Me: "Yes I did"

To be honest, having them loose might help if you try to pull your feet out in a panic. Other than that, so long as they aren't too tight you should be ok. For your first few rides, just keep reminding yourself that you are clipped in. It soon becomes second nature, even in busy traffic.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
BigonaBianchi said:
Hi Johnny

I have been clipless for two tears now and every now and then I still one of those total berk moments. Usually its when the bike leans over to the left and I cant unclip in time...total wipeout.

I have shimano double sided spds and have them set on the most loose setting all the time. I have a set of regular cleats fitted, I tried the multi release option but I kept accidently unclipping as I rode.

Once you are into it though it's a no brainer and much more fun I find.
Tears? No need to go that far. We all come a cropper with clipless at some time:biggrin:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
funniest time was on tour in norfolk. I was loaded up with fourpanniers tent etc...all the gear..centre of attention...people pointing as I rode past etc...(because in the UK a loaded touring bike is about as commonas a UFO)..stopped at the lights and just as they chnaged I got that sinking feeling , couldnt unclip and hit th edeck with all the finesse of a one legged hippo...got a round of applause from the pub opposite:blush::laugh::laugh:

oh right..Tears yeah..got it:biggrin:...does dent your pride a tad though:laugh::boxing:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I fell off 30 seconds after fitting mine :boxing: good job nobody was looking

jon.mithe

I toppled once but noticed a lampost, so half way down at full stretch grabbed it with two arms and just wobbled about a bit as I hung on for dear life trying to declip :biggrin: must of looked a right state.

It's going to be the emergency stops or being stationary and the bike leaning to the wrong side that are going to get you - I managed normal traffic without any practice but fell over on the pavement outside a friend's house just standing there! :girl:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm sure that you will do just fine (i.e. only have a couple of clipless moments like the rest of us :laugh:). I found that the default setting was loose enough to get used to the pedals and I was soon tightening them up.

Best of luck to you and enough the new found "oneness" with the bike :angry:

Top Bottom