OK Half-ords, this time we're finished!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yes, ANOTHER thread having a pop at Half.ords. Perhaps if they got their act together this wouldn't be necessary, but....

I am not a fan, obviously. So I tend to avoid their shops. But today, well, I was walking past anyway, and thought they might have the mud guard I want for my MTB....

There it was, on the display rack, clearly price marked at £11. So I picked it up, along with a Camelbak bottle that always come in handy.

I get to the till, and was surprised to find the total price somewhat higher than expected. Check my receipt, the mudguard was £15. Rather than begin a discussion at that point, and to make sure it wasn't MY mistake, I went back to the display and sure enough - £11.

So, back to the till to query it, to be told that it might be that the £11 price is for loyalty card holders only or some similar BS.... Well it isn't clear that is the case, so take your mudguard AND drink bottle back says I .. At that point fed up member of staff strolls off to check the price and returns to grudgingly refund me the difference.

The 2 staff involved by this time clearly thought I was just a grumpy old man kicking up too much fuss over £4.. I might have agreed if this was a one off, but this has happened to me several times now at Half.ords.. So as the thread title suggests, I won't be back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What loyalty card ? - they have the motoring thingy membership that gives you something off occasionally, but there isn't a higher price for non card holders (or wasn't), unlike TESCO.

Big John

Guru
I'll hear nothing bad said about Halfords lol. If it wasn't for Halfords, just around the corner from the bike charity where I work, we'd have a LOT less business. Their pricing and their failed attempts to fix customer bikes brings folks to our place in their hoards. Long may it continue, I say. Keep up the good work, Halfords 😉

I have two hellfrauds near me one is a total lost cause for a variety of reasons, the other is the total opposite, went for a tyre for a mate only for the chap behind the cycle desk to tell me to reserve it on my phone from their online store while i was stood there and get it £4 cheaper , as soon as I had reserved it he took one from the shelf and sure enough , £4 saved.

does anyone remember the feck up halfords website had over christmas several years ago, basically whatever was in your basket you got for free when you collected, i remember several folk got shedloads of stuff and others had orders cancelled, cant find the thread, does anyone remember when it was. beginning to think I dreamt it....

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had the same in Dumbarton with a pair of new tyres which were 50% more at the till than on the shelf.
This was a few years ago so cannot remember the actual price but the incident stays with me.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Fair play; matter of principle and I'd do the same tbh. Smacks of yet more manipulative and misleading marketing practices.

I find Halfords similar; the only saving grace being that their staff are usually so disinterested that they'll take the path of least resistance to get rid of you - as was apparently the case in your experience!

I find it depends on the staff member you deal with. Pot luck whether you get a good one or indifferent at best one. Besides, I only go in for specific things I know they stock at good prices. The rest I buy online somewhere else. They're OK if you know what you want and you don't get caught out by pricing / system errors. Although IME sorting them out is easy enough at halfords near me

Chislenko

Veteran
Sounds like they had the wrong price on their computer system, a not uncommon occurrence, not just with Hal fords but other shops as well.

Quite right Dave, happened to me in B&M with coffee the other day.

Pointed it out to the cashier who checked the label on the shelf and did it at that price.

However, I didn't think it important and forgot all about it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Quite right Dave, happened to me in B&M with coffee the other day.

Pointed it out to the cashier who checked the label on the shelf and did it at that price.

However, I didn't think it important and forgot all about it.

It's happened to me three times, B & Q with a tin of fence stain, the One Stop shop with a bag of chocolates and the local corner shop with a cake.

si_c

Guru
I think it's far too hit and miss in Halfords to be honest, of the three near me the closest is generally excellent, the guys are into bikes and consequently take a lot more time and effort and interest. I went there for a couple of gear cables on a sunday a while back and the guy just gave me a couple off the reel, to paraphrase him "the pre-pack stuff is a f*cking rip off".

The other two couldn't be any more different, utterly indifferent and I dread to think what comes out of their workshops there. If they could be consistently better than their current average at the moment they'd probably get a lot more business, and it all comes down to who they hire.

postman

Legendary Member
My Sister in law is looking for a bike at the moment,her friends have told her keep away from H.She rang me last week for advice,i told her the same,you have great choices where you live in York ,and a few miles eitherside.

Jameshow

Veteran
Wilko's near us is closing 30% off every thing it seemed so I filled my boots...

Nope only certain items but about 75% stuff was discounted!!

Top Bottom