OK Half-ords, this time we're finished!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I had the same in Dumbarton with a pair of new tyres which were 50% more at the till than on the shelf.
This was a few years ago so cannot remember the actual price but the incident stays with me.

Probably a very different issue, but I was in there yesterday and whilst I do like the staff, they had a carbon bottle cage on the shelf that looked really cheap. When I checked it became obvious that someone had put the wrong item back on the shelf that could easily have confused the unwary. It does seem quite a big store for the 2 or 3 members of staff that are usually on.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Probably a very different issue, but I was in there yesterday and whilst I do like the staff, they had a carbon bottle cage on the shelf that looked really cheap. When I checked it became obvious that someone had put the wrong item back on the shelf that could easily have confused the unwary. It does seem quite a big store for the 2 or 3 members of staff that are usually on.

I have seen obvious instances of people not bothering to replace items on shelves properly but in the case of my tyres the label on the tyres did match the shelf description.
I did take the tyres anyway as they were still a good price for the specification I was looking for.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
However, I didn't think it important and forgot all about it.

Well yes, point taken.
When it happened to me the first time, I forgot all about it.
Second time I thought, mistakes happen.
Third time I thought, Hal.fords are a bit incompetent.
Fourth time I thought, Hal.fords are ripping the pish.
Today I was pretty hacked off. It seems to be a recurring theme and maybe even unofficial policy, so they can F.R.O..

D

Deleted member 26715

What loyalty card ? - they have the motoring thingy membership that gives you something off occasionally, but there isn't a higher price for non card holders (or wasn't), unlike TESCO.

Tesco's is a strange one, we stopped using them during lockdown as having been a loyal customer for 40 years meant nothing to them when we wanted a delivery but that's another story.

But went in the other day & did buy something, got to the self service till only to find completely different prices. Called the attendant over who asked had I a clubcard, when I said yes she said scan it & as if by magic all the prices dropped to the on shelf price, very sneaky

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I shop at a main supermarket in Denmark called Fotex. We check our till reciept every time we buy something and 60% of the time we have to point out an error and get a refund. Fotex could have a multi million kroner business without selling anything. If we are anything to go by. It is just the way it is. Its not an issue.

Slick

Guru
I shop at a main supermarket in Denmark called Fotex. We check our till reciept every time we buy something and 60% of the time we have to point out an error and get a refund. Fotex could have a multi million kroner business without selling anything. If we are anything to go by. It is just the way it is. Its not an issue.

Haha, it obviously absolutely is an issue. :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Items costing more than the displayed price was a regular occurence in my local Halfords but they always corrected it when it was pointed out. That branch closed early last year and despite the pricing issues I actually miss it. They were my closest bike shop, less than a mile away and you could often get things reduced or on some sort of deal. The staff were helpful and friendly. Halfords also tend to stock things like cantilever brake blocks and 26" x 1 3/8" tubes which none of the trendy shops do which is good for me who is often fixing older bikes.

My nearest Halfords is now about twenty miles away so I don't go there unless I happened to be in the area anyway for some other reason but they haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in my opinion. I wanted their all-weather car cover in XS size as I have no indoor storage for my Peugeot 205 over the winter. I had been going to order one of the tailor made expensive ones but happened to read a review suggesting the Halfords one is just as good for considerably less money, just choose the size correctly. It wasn't in stock so I ordered it click and collect and waited for the text to arrive tell me it was in store.

Over a week later and still not a word, I phoned them after spending ages trying to find a phone number or email address as their CS webpage just directs you to a automted chat function which kept telling me it couldn't understand my question. After waiting ages on the phone while the (admittedly very helpful) lady tried to work out where my order had gone, it turned out it was in the store all along and the onsite staff hadn't updated the system properly. So I drove to pick it up. Initially they refused to give it to me as I hadn't received the confirmation text/email (their own fault for not updating the system!) and after eventually talking to a manager and showing the original order confirmation email, they agreed to give it to me. Except there was problem. Nobody could find my parcel so I waited ages while they looked. Then he scanned it and tried to make me pay for it even though I had paid online when I placed the order!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tesco's is a strange one, we stopped using them during lockdown as having been a loyal customer for 40 years meant nothing to them when we wanted a delivery but that's another story.

But went in the other day & did buy something, got to the self service till only to find completely different prices. Called the attendant over who asked had I a clubcard, when I said yes she said scan it & as if by magic all the prices dropped to the on shelf price, very sneaky

Naughty though !

classic33

Leg End Member
In fairness to Tesco, the lower price is usually in a big yellow circle in a big blue box labelled "clubcard price" on the shelf with the regular non-clubcard price next to it equally obvious.
There seems to fewer of those Clubcard pricing cards on the shelves now.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Haha, it obviously absolutely is an issue. :laugh:

Its not an an issue to me. After 18 years I am used to it. Its more of an amusement than an annoyance. The manager of the store knows me very well. As I approach the information counter the manager and I are both grinning. He has offered me a job as a stock checker on several occasions.^_^

Top Bottom