OK rough self bike fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Kops is another myth that needs to be put to bed . . .
I wouldn't go that far - it's a good starting point, as is having a straight leg with heel on the pedal in lowest position. I believe that the truth is that there's not a universally optimum position for any rider, but there may be a position that suits a rider better than other positions overall. Sprinting on the drops downhill is an entirely different scenario to a leisurely fully-loaded tour on the uphill. A saddle position could be correctly set up in relation to the pedals and balance by being low and set back or higher and more forward but one might be preferred over the other due to reach and handlebar design or for other reasons.

There's a guide by a bloke who resides in a neighbouring parish of this forum. He's not a bike fitter but has designed bike frames. Imho, I think it is an excellent guide and anyone asking questions about bike-fit, my advice would be to read that guide.

Here's the link to it:

http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Kops is another myth that needs to be put to bed - to paraphrase a fairly coarse explanation I once heard, a busty woman with a big head needs her saddle set further back to offset the extra weight above her waist, compared to her stick-thin friend with the same sized legs. Fore/aft is about balance, which differs depending on whole-body proportions and muscle strength and flexibility, particularly in the core.

Edit - a closer to home example maybe, I'm 6ft5 with 34" inside leg, on another forum another poster had the same inside leg so likely a similar saddle height, but was 5ft9. My saddle would have to be further behind the crank spindle than his as I have far more upper body to cantilever when I'm riding.
indeed thats why i said if you believe in it which i assume the OP does as his piccie is showing the KOPs position :smile: , like you i like the point of balance theory that Steve Hogg uses and i tend to be behind KOPs as a position that works for me although in this case i think it would help the arm bend by taking the weight a bit further back so the arms wouldnt need to be so straight to hold the body weight
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/05/seat-set-back-for-road-bikes/

OldShep

Über Member
Saddle height looked to be about right but worth experimenting with putting it back to see if you can relax this arms.
What I did notice though is every 4 or 5 revolutions you are prone to drop your heel on the right foot. Is your right leg the longer one or is it the stronger one, and are finding the gear slightly hard, giving a little extra push to keep the cadence. Drop a gear and increase your cadence and see if your knee problem goes.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Just to follow up on this. I lowered the saddle by about 5mm or so and I think I prefer it. I'm not dropping my right heel anymore and I'm more comfortable putting more power out. Quads burning a little more than before but felt good.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just to follow up on this. I lowered the saddle by about 5mm or so and I think I prefer it. I'm not dropping my right heel anymore and I'm more comfortable putting more power out. Quads burning a little more than before but felt good.
whats your pedaling cadence ? low cadence can make your legs burn, i still think you saddle needs to go back a little bit too

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
that will not help with your burning leg feeling but if thats what suit you
It's impossible for me to change. I've tried many many times. Lasts all of 2 minutes. Im a grinder not a spinner. Been that way for 40 years!

Top Bottom