Ok some very basic puncture advice pleeze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I just had my third puncture in a week, it's not much fun anymore. I have continental 23 tyres on there because they were fitted on the bike when I bought it. I am looking to get some stronger tyres as per previous thread. BUT I just put all three tubes under water and found the bubbles and all of the holes are on the inside of the tube (same side as the valve). That tells me the problem is internal not external. so I took a look inside the wheel and dont see any thing obvious, I feel dont feel anything either when I run my fingers gently round the inside of the rim.. (g:ohmy:d that sounds bad sorry:laugh:).....I dont get it..what could be doing this? Both front and rear wheels are affected. I pump the tyres up to max 120psi as per the tyre wall max...I ride on normal rodes and avoid bumps potholes etc...

...I dont want to spend out money on expensive tyres if the tyres arnt actually the problem.

Thanks for any help.:angry:

Are they on the inside of the tube in the same place? ie in relation to the valve?

If so its likely a spoke nipple is catching the tube. If different places, then various spokes may be pinching due to cheapo rim tape.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

two are in the same place just a few inches from the valve and th eother is elsewhere...tells me the two in the sam eplace were the two rear punctures then I guess...Cheapo rim tape...ok...so what is good rim tape then...I guess you get what you pay for again right....hmmm so it looks like a tape issue rather than tyres....

kyuss

Veteran
+1. And most importantly it doesn't slip under pressure like plastic tape can which then exposes the spoke holes.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

took it to the lbs..tapes fine ..mtstery...hmm..ok got some better tube sin there now..gonna do a double rim tape lineing and then pro 3's asap...if that doesnt work I'll defo know i'm to fat:biggrin:

berlinbear

i just changed my tyres and have nicked 3 tubes so far small hole in all them trying to be careful any tips on how to stop the nicks

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
berlinbear said:
i just changed my tyres and have nicked 3 tubes so far small hole in all them trying to be careful any tips on how to stop the nicks

Don't use levers to fit. It's technique rather than brute force.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ian H said:
Don't use levers to fit. It's technique rather than brute force.

Well I was fitting M+'s to some new wheels today, Rigida Sputnik rims 622-19, and I had to resort to levers and managed two pinch punctures. I wrestled for ages by hand, I even took tyres off and fitted them to some other rims, Mavic A719 622-19, to check. I got them on by hand with just the usual level of grunt. Sputniks, not a chance, I even managed to raise a sizeable blister on my right thumb. I finally resorted to putting other tyres on as I couldn't see any way I'd get the M+'s off and on if I did have a roadside.

Now searching around for one of those lever gizmos that gets the tyre onto the rim without pinching the tube. Anyone know what they're called? I think they grip outside the tyre and push up as opposed to inside and levering.

Gixxerman

Guru
My bike came fitted with Bontrager Race Lite Hard-Case, 700x32c. I have done over 3000miles with only 1 p*ncture.

As others have said, when putting the tyres back on do not use tyre levers.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've always used levers and have never managed to puncture a tube.
Surely you've got to use tyre levers esp for ones such as M+ - nevermind levers they need a friggin' crowbar.

Top Bottom