ok what do you want bringing back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unnecessary information post: I used to make those. I was a wet tool grinder at Stanley. Before that, I was a dry tool grinder. They have the strangest of job titles.....

My Grandad bought his in the 70's judging by the steel adjustment wheel. I have another from the 60's with brass fittings. I'm guessing you were not working for them back then.

That's something I'd like to be brought back though: craftsmanship in things like tools.

classic33

Leg End Member
My Grandad bought his in the 70's judging by the steel adjustment wheel. I have another from the 60's with brass fittings. I'm guessing you were not working for them back then.

That's something I'd like to be brought back though: craftsmanship in things like tools.
I've a Jack Rebate plane, for which a spare lever iron would be handy.

A world where people learn to fix and repair things rather than replace at slightest breakage. I saw an abandoned BMX bike the other day, purely as the back wheel had broken.
was going to post this earlier - great minds think alike.
You may be in luck - there is a certain trend - even a fashionable one - towards this.
(though maybe it won't get as far as folk darning socks - I use my non-holed but heel thinned ones for the very short stroll to my local)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

It would have been around '75 when I worked there and I can't remember which model planes I actually made. It was all piecework and the unofficial approach was to never work at more than 113% because they'd revise the rates downward if you did

Hanging.

Chaters Motorsport Bookshop.

They used to have a shop in Isleworth, and yes, I whiled away many an hour and spent a fair few notes in there over the years. One of the casualties of e-bay and amazon, they now operate via website out of a private address somewhere south coast-ish. Hook, iirc...

Shame, because the bods in the shop were knowledgeable, and if you were after something that was OOP or on a specific topic, they'd get it for you. Plus I just really miss being able to browse.

This is the problem of buying OOP stuff online - you can't browse. Which means you have to really do your research when buying, and it's easy to overlook things.

Top Bottom