Ok...which maps for europe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Yes but the ADAC is the motoring organisation. ADFC is the cycling organisation and their maps colour code the suitability of roads for cycling. In any event when cycling in Germany it is always a good idea to check out the cycling mapping in the bookshops of the area you are in.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[
My plan is to scan/copy the necessary pages (as the whole book is somewhat heavy) and use a simple plastic A4 wallet to keep them dry inside the map holder on top of my bar bag.

QUOTE]

I just tear out the relevant pages. Go to a different bit next time if you want to get your money's worth!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
rich p said:
[
My plan is to scan/copy the necessary pages (as the whole book is somewhat heavy) and use a simple plastic A4 wallet to keep them dry inside the map holder on top of my bar bag.

QUOTE]

I just tear out the relevant pages. Go to a different bit next time if you want to get your money's worth!

It is an unnecessary faff buggering about with scanning/copying. Rip out the pages discard the rest. Buy a new map for the next tour. Some folk throw away the pages as they are finished with. I kept mine a s momento of the tour.

I've got three 'sets' of sheets now.

Percy

I favour something around 1: 250 000. Have a look at them in the shop and see what style you prefer. I'd take the first week or so with me then buy as I go along - sometimes not as easy as it sounds. I crossed Greece with a 1: 800 000 road map, but it was fine. Greece is fairly easy though and I would want much more detail in somewhere like France, for example.

Waterproof - I believe some are available but mine just sat in my clear plastic bar bag map case thing. Just have to find shelter when changing it around in the rain!

I tended to rip off any bulky cardboard covers on the maps to make it easier to fold up for the bar bag.

yello

I use IGN (Institute Geographique National) maps here in France. They are not cheap (€7 in my local presse but I have seen them for €5). The 1cm = 1km is perfectly adequate for cycling (74 of them to cover all of France) but there is a 1cm = 250m series for off-roading and/or walking.

Prior to IGN, I got a Michelin road atlas from the library and copied the pages I needed!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Doh! Should have thought of Malta - we're looking at going in the Autumn.

bianchi1

Guru
I used to live there when i was a kid ( seems like a long time ago ) Good place to go if you know what to expect. Only 2 sandy beaches on the whole island and lots of cars!!

bianchi1

Guru
Are you counting Gozo and Comino into that count! Or the beauty in Marsaxlokk/Birzebugga that overlooks the container packing port !
Have always fancied a bike ride around the island apart from the traffic/Maltese driving. That said it is a beautifull island with some amazing history. I however would go back every time for 1 reason alone.... Kinnie! When will they sell it here?

Top Bottom