OK - Who Used the Cheese Grater on My Tube???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StrongEagle

Old guy wearing out his knees!
I think I know what happened, and, I lay this problem out before the experts.

I was riding in Brazos Bend State Park today (Needville, Texas). Made about 11 miles and then I got a flat front tire. I had to push my bike back to the car... fortunately, only a little bit more than a mile. I figured that I got a puncture from a thorn, or maybe one of those tiny triangular pieces of silica that do a fine job of piercing the tire just enough to let out the air.

So... this picture shows the type of surface I was riding on... and a gator that I had to pass. It's mostly packed down pea gravel with forest trail. It had rained just a couple of days earlier, and while it was mostly dry, rolling resistance was much higher, sometimes even having to peddle through muddy spots. Mostly, I had to shift down at least one gear from what I normally use.

gator.png

So... I walked my mile plus back to the car and headed home. I checked the tube when I got home, looking for the leak, using a water bath, and expecting to find a puncture somewhere that would help me find the spot in the tire. So... I'm looking for a little bubble stream coming out of the tube. Instead, the video shows what I found. Enough bubbles to make Thunderball look shabby. My tube would make a good aquarium aerator.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ai1qoBekoDRPhcJe0OpVFGhoQoCzcw?e=ZpyEu4

I can't figure this out. I think I found one single place in the tire where a puncture might have occurred. It sort of looks like a thorn went through the tire, then pulled back out. I don't think I rode on the flat... I mean... rolling resistance goes up big time... especially when riding on gravel/dirt surface, which I was doing. And... no alcohol or doobies, thank you.

So... how come I have so many leaks in my tube? Did it happen from walking the bike back to the car? I'm thinking of buying puncture resistant tires for my next tires. Any recommendations? I'm currently running Kenda 622-40's.

Thank you for any thoughts or advice.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I used Tannus tires for years and would happily buy them again. I think they've improved the formula now but the Tannus I had were a bit brutal to ride, I'm not sure I'd fancy them on gravel tracks.

weareHKR

I Use Continental Tour Ride - Extra, (700x42) but I don't ride on roads with Gators... maybe the odd hedgehog! :laugh:
I do some chalky & semi-rough gravel/shale type surface but these seem to be holding up well!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The video is quite surprising, I've never seen that. I'm half wondering if the puncture is chucking out so many bubbles that they're pushing around the circumference of the bowl, and because the whole tube is submerged it's causing an optical illusion that they're coming from everywhere. I'd repair the one big puncture and then try testing the rest of the tube but just one section at a time.

It does look completely porous though! Surely it can't be!?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nothing to do with tyre choice and changing to a different tyre won't do anything to prevent what has happened (other than maybe reducing the chance of the initial puncture that 1st caused the flat).
The problem is due to damage that occurred after the tyre went flat. Maybe you continued to ride for a while before noticing the tyre was flat, or the damage was done during the 1mile walk of shame? Personally, if I do ever push a bike with a flat tyre any distance I pick up the flat tyre and keep it from touching the ground.
Learn from your experience, get a new tube, check the tyre for damage and move on.

Might also be worth getting another spare tube and carry it with a pump and tyre levers so you can fix it kn the spot if it happens again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd say the walk back over gravel caused multiple 'nibbles' at the tyre similar to a 'snakebite' puncture.

OP
OP
StrongEagle

StrongEagle

Continental Gatorskins would be the obvious choice.

I like them. Unfortunately, for 622 wheels, they max appear to max out at 32 mm. I currently ride 40's, and am considering a 42 mm or even 45 mm.

I'm considering Kendra Kwick Drumlin | K1216 which seems to have good reviews and comes in sizes I want. https://shop.kendatire.com/Kwick-Drumlin-p/214200.htm

I am also looking at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, although I can't find as much information.

Any experiences and recommendations for puncture resistant tires would be much appreciated. I can tell I'm going to be doing a lot more of this type of riding.

Thanks.

OP
OP
StrongEagle

StrongEagle

Nothing to do with tyre choice and changing to a different tyre won't do anything to prevent what has happened (other than maybe reducing the chance of the initial puncture that 1st caused the flat).
The problem is due to damage that occurred after the tyre went flat. Maybe you continued to ride for a while before noticing the tyre was flat, or the damage was done during the 1mile walk of shame? Personally, if I do ever push a bike with a flat tyre any distance I pick up the flat tyre and keep it from touching the ground.
Learn from your experience, get a new tube, check the tyre for damage and move on.

Might also be worth getting another spare tube and carry it with a pump and tyre levers so you can fix it kn the spot if it happens again.

Replying also to CanucksTraveller...

Yes, there really are that many holes in the tube. I used an electric pump to put enough air in the tire. Normally, it takes 3 or 4 seconds, or less. This time, I ran the pump continuously and as you can see, it didn't do much to inflate the tube.

I have to agree with I like Skol... the damage was caused by rolling the tire down the gravel road while completely flat. I observed many scuffed points around the tube and I suspect that two things happened. First, it would appear that the tube was pinched between rim and tire. This might not matter so much on smooth tarmac but as noted it was a bumpy gravel road and I am sure there were many impacts that banged the tube between wheel and tire.

And second, the rim tape on this wheel kind of looks like the poly strapping you see on pallets... somewhat stiff... but more importantly... semi-sharp edges. It would seem that another source of punctures came from the tube rubbing against the rim tape until a puncture was created.

As for the tire itself, it appears that there was exactly on very thorn looking puncture hole on the inside casing of the tire. So, I've cleaned it all up, talc'ed up a new tube, and we're riding again. I did also add a rubber rim strip on top of the existing rim tape... I don't think I'm going to have that problem again.

And finally... yes... tools and tube for repair sounds like a very good idea... especially since I plan on doing more of this type of riding.

Thanks for all the answers.

Top Bottom