Old 8 speed conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nev

I picked up an old italian steel frame, its got 8 speed indexed down tube shifters and a rear derailleur(both shimano 600) on it. So i just want to get it going. If i get an 8 speed cassette, can i just get a 9speed fron derailleur and crank, then maybe upgrade to 9 speed with new rear derailleur and shifters at a later stage?
Or can i change the whole drivetrain to 9 speed and adjust the shifters somehow? i have no experience with down tube shifters so a little lost!
Cheers

PpPete

Legendary Member
A 9 speed front mech and crank will work fine with what you've got, because DT front shifter is not indexed.

8 speed indexed DT shifter is limited to 8 speed cassettes .... unless you turn the little ring and use it as friction shifter.

PpPete

Legendary Member
With an 8 speed cassette I think I would go with an 8 speed chain.

9 speed would work too, but 8 speed is cheaper and more durable.

9 speed chainrings won't worry about an 8 speed chain, and with a DT shifter you won't have any trouble "trimming" the fron mech

But if you change to a 9 speed cassette and go friction shift then yes it would need a 9 speed chain.

OP
OP
N

nev

one more thing, the cranksets im looking at say they suit the shimano super-narrow chains, and i cant find an eight speed one.
Will the old rear derailleur have any difficulty with the supernarrow chain?
Thanks for all the help

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is there any particular reason why you're thinking of going from 8 to 9? I think it's a lot of hassle (and potentially expense) for a very minimal return. I ride (when I ride gears) 7 speed freewheels, and I've never felt the need for more. On the contrary, when I've ridden with more gears (which is to say closer 'steps' between gears), I've actually found it a pain. Especially when you're using downtube shifters, you want a shift to make a tangible difference, not a tiny one. Also, as porkypete says, everything 8 speed is cheaper and more durable than anything 9 or 10 speed.

OP
OP
N

nev

Thanks for the reply, i eould be perfectly happy with 8 speed, just wanted to get the rest of the drivetrain to get it going. I can get the 8speed cassette, just hard to source the crankset. Like the idea of the quality of a new 9speed.
The shimano cranksets ive looked at all say compatibility with narrow 9 speed chains, just making sure there wont be a huge compatibility issue!
Looking at a 105 9 speed crank with a Tiagra front Deraileur and 8speed cassette. Want to make sure they'll work with the old 600 derailleur and the super narrow chain that suits the new stuff!
Totally happy with staying with the indexed downtube shifters, just looking for the easiest route out!

PpPete

Legendary Member
nev said:
Looking at a 105 9 speed crank with a Tiagra front Deraileur and 8speed cassette. Want to make sure they'll work with the old 600 derailleur and the super narrow chain that suits the new stuff!

Can't see any worries there... but forget "super narrow chain" which is a bit old terminology and predates the time when 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 speed cassettes were all available.
An 8 speed chain could, in theory, move from side to side on a crankset designed for 9 speed. In practice it won't, or by such a small amount you'll not notice. Tiagra front derailleur will cope quite happily with an 8 speed chain, just as the old 600 series rear derailleur and cassette would be quite happy with a 9 speed chain if you decide to spend the extra.

PpPete

Legendary Member

Fly

porkypete said:
.... unless you turn the little ring and use it as friction shifter.

Little ring?? were?

wont need a new cassette if I can do this =D

briank

Fly said:
Little ring?? were?

wont need a new cassette if I can do this =D

Down-tube (and bar end) shifters generally have some way of "turning off" the indexing function - unless they're so old they only run in friction mode. On the body of the lever itself - may be a semicircular ring that normally lies flush with the body of the lever but can lifted out and turned, may be just a slot across the body that needs a large screwdriver - should be a way of changing between index and friction operation.

OP
OP
N

nev

so Porkeypete, you were using friction shifting on that 9 speed triple? Should i just get the 9 speed drivetrain setup and switch to friction shifting? Madness?

PpPete

Legendary Member
nev said:
so Porkeypete, you were using friction shifting on that 9 speed triple? Should i just get the 9 speed drivetrain setup and switch to friction shifting? Madness?

I didn't use that for long on friction - but it worked fine.

If it were me, I'd leave as 8 speed rear until the cassette is due for replacement. When you'e got it all running switch the shifters over to friction sometime to see if you get on with it yourself before spending money on 9 speed cassette & mech.

You may decide you prefer indexed and want to get some 9 speed index DT shifters - in which case buy some soon, there are very few places that still offer them - and they were rare enough in the first place.

Top Bottom