Old british bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a Viking Tony Doyle replica bike in the early 80's. Pearly white finish. Lovely bike.

I can tell you what happened to carlton.

They were bought out by Raleigh and run by Raleigh for a few years before the range was a couple of Raleigh Carlton road bikes in the back of the Raleigh catalogue one year and nothing the next.

OP
OP
G

Goldie

Über Member
So my dreaming about british 70's and 80's racers and tourers went on for a few more hours before it (combined with an increasing horror at how ugly my £90 Raleigh Halford-special MTB is, however handy it is in sticky mud) culminated in the sudden realisation that there were probably hundreds of the things knocking about on ebay.

In short order, I was in Wilmslow picking up this:

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

Which is a one-owner-from new, slightly dusty and dinged 1970 Claud Butler Electron Super Five.

OP
OP
G

Goldie

Über Member
I got to work cleaning the old lass down as soon as I got home, going over the ally and chrome bits with Brasso and cutting back then polishing the genius orange paint. It's got a Martens saddle on it that looks like it might be leather, so I gave that a good going over with shoe polish...

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

DSC01991.jpg

On the first ride, I couldn't get first gear and it was jumping out of second, but I've tinkered with the stop screws on the derailleur and it runs just about silently now. I am pretty much in love with the bike, which is about as different from my MTB as its possible to get.

Then, while I had the computer warmed up, I kind of couldn't help buying this superb, pretty much as new Falcon Phaser, on skinny cut slick tyres so fresh that they still have the moulding flash on them. If anyone knows how old the Falcon is, I'd love to hear from you. The spangly blue bar tape makes me think late seventies, but it is in timewarp condition for a bike that old.

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01993.jpg

I'm literally having trouble staying away from ebay now. Just about every bike that I ever tried to talk my mum and dad for buying for me in the early 80's seems to be on there... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC01989.jpg
    DSC01989.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 24

PanicStrickenToo

I was given a bike about 12 years ago by my old boss as I got bored of work and went back to uni. I used it for a few years then neglected it and it was stored in the shed until a couple of months ago. Before me, it had been subject to a rather unkind paint job. Armed with some paint stripper I removed the paint over the badge to reveal that it is a Carlton. It has all suntour gear changers and rear mechs, the front changer says Simplex. And from the pictures on the carlton site it has crespera lugwork, placing manufacture between 1967 and 1974. brakes are weinmann dynamic with a side mechanism with aluminium leavers with suicide bars. It has the number Z4672 on the rear drop out and 2558216 on the bottom bracket. I'd like to know what model it might be so I can give it a respectable restoration. Anyone have any ideas as I've now hit a wall.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
use to use a viscount for ctc runs 20+ years ago my first new bike , never had another since . it was a very good bike have had 2 more recentley for commuters and they still rode very well

Top Bottom