Old browsers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At work we have IE6 with no chance of upgrading it until the team responsible have a sound business case for rolling out a newer version to everyone. Individuals do not have the ability to install software on thier own machines.

While the forum is usable, there are a number of formatting issues that are probably as a result of the new skin using more up to date features.

Shaun

Founder
That's pretty much it.

IE6 is old and doesn't have support for a lot of the new browser features, and whilst a lot of corporate entities are still hanging on to it, support for IE6 is waining pretty much everywhere else in the development community.

Have you tried using the mobile skin whilst in IE6?

I know it's not an ideal solution, but it may simplify things and make it more useable?

Cheers,
Shaun :rolleyes:

Martok

Klingon on a bike
At work we have IE6 with no chance of upgrading it until the team responsible have a sound business case for rolling out a newer version to everyone. Individuals do not have the ability to install software on thier own machines.

I'd say the fact that Microsoft are no longer supporting IE6 and therefore any exploits now found in that ancient browser will no longer be patched is a fairly sound business case for rolling out a newer version!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Indeed, IE6 is horrendously insecure anyway, and now that it's unsupported it would be madness to use it at all, let alone in a business!

OP
OP
T
Have you tried using the mobile skin whilst in IE6?

I know it's not an ideal solution, but it may simplify things and make it more useable?

Just giving it a go now ... cuts out the formatting problems, I will just have to pop back to the CC skin if I need any of the features not covered by the mobile one.

ETA, corrections due to a "feature" of the mobile skin

OP
OP
T
I'd say the fact that Microsoft are no longer supporting IE6 and therefore any exploits now found in that ancient browser will no longer be patched is a fairly sound business case for rolling out a newer version!

Thanks, I will see if I can drop appropriate hints in the right ears, but won't hold my breath for change to take place anytime soon.