Old Cannondale Upgrade?? Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got an M500 from around 1995, no suspension but nice light frame - gears (6 spd/twistshifters) and brakes (canti's) are worn out - any advice on how I can upgrade kit without spending a bomb?. I tend to use it as a hybrid with narrower off road tyres, nothing too hardcore.

Motozulu

Über Member
Are you looking to replace like for like or upgrading as in well - better parts?

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
been having a look this afternoon, could I put a 9 spd Deore groupset on it? Assume I can't use disc brakes, so would v brakes work ok? Would I need new back wheel as going from 6 spd to 9 spd?? really want to keep upgrade under £300 if possible.

lukesdad

I upgraded my M2000 from 7 to 9 speed using the original friction shifters this kept the cost down. Also the chainset spider has the same BCD as a compact so thats an option too if you are using it as a hybrid. You may have more fundamental problems tho' axle width is greater for the later 9 speed system. I suspect the cassette on a M500 would be freewheel and not screw on, but you'd need to check.

lukesdad

Google cannondale M500 click images and you ll find some of your answers, some folk spend a lot of money converting the cannondale M series. They were great framsets

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Cannondal+1995+M500+015+(Large).jpg

mine is exactly same as this, CODA triple chainset, shimano slx 18 spd, really bad canti brakes (alivios?), mind you Sun rims have never gone out of true in 18 years! its surprisingly good on the road as well.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
don't know why image won't show

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I upgraded my M2000 from 7 to 9 speed using the original friction shifters this kept the cost down. Also the chainset spider has the same BCD as a compact so thats an option too if you are using it as a hybrid. You may have more fundamental problems tho' axle width is greater for the later 9 speed system. I suspect the cassette on a M500 would be freewheel and not screw on, but you'd need to check.
Ok thanks for advice - how do I check axel width for 9 spd - is it best to take bike down to my LBS?

lukesdad

You could fit a front disc there is an insert that will convert to take an Aheadset fit some after market forks with disc mounts new wheel and brake etc. but would it be worth it ?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
have tried adjusting them before and no joy, v brakes seem quite cheap, so will they fit?

If you change to V you will have to change your brake levers too. If your cantis are set up like the green one above, and if your wheels are dead true as you said, then you will increase the stopping power of your cantis significantly by shortening the straddle wires, to just clearing the tyres/guards, and setting the pads to no more than say 1.5mm from the rims.

Those forks have no disc tabs so you can't have disc brake up front without replacing forks.

For wheel selection you need the inside measurement between the rear dropouts when the rear wheel is off. It will be either 126mm, 130mm or 135mm. Since you have gripshifts currently that means you have indexed shifting, so you will have to change shifters too if you move to 8/9 speed.

Top Bottom