Old Carlton Race Bike...Advice Pls...updated, bought dawes response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
decent quality back in the day. Maybe part of Raleigh?

Things I would not like are those brakes (hydraulic discs are 20x better for mucky winter rides in my view) and the big chainrings.

D

Deleted member 1258

decent quality back in the day. Maybe part of Raleigh?

Things I would not like are those brakes (hydraulic discs are 20x better for mucky winter rides in my view) and the big chainrings.
oh, and the suicide brake levers, would not recommend either

Its looks a cracking vintage bike, 52/42 was the usual on the front in those days, they look like Weinman centre pull brakes, good brakes back then, but like you I'm no fan of suicide levers, I used to take them of if a bike of mine had them.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like a later Carlton Grand Prix. Tru Wel tubing with the frame used on a variety of models. Some bits have been changed but looks in good nick.

Its a shame its a 23 and too big for me, or I'd been interested.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Looks decent, but overpriced IMHO. How about this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORBIT-GOLD-MEDAL/114430279651?hash=item1aa4937fe3:g:kKgAAOSwAsRfLpQM

<Makes mental note to check map - is Camberley anywhere near Colchester?>

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
As per footnote, camberley no where close to colchester! Thanks anyway, looks a nice bike
I tried filtering within 20 miles of a fictitious CO1 postcode - most results were in that there London! I hereby conclude that *bay filtering sucks!

rrarider

Veteran
I think it is a quite good, but not top, quality bike. The Orbit is better. I don't know what represents a fair price in the current pandemic times. The Carlton has no mudguards, which really makes it unsuitable for winter use, even if the road surface is just damp. I've put my good quality bike without mudguards away for the winter for that reason. I rode a bike of similar quality to the Carlton when the weather was bad and it was OK, apart from the suicide brake levers. They really ought to be taken off and thrown away; I often had to resort to the back of the 220 bus as the brake of last resort.

Top Bottom