old centre pull brakes setting up and bracing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Worth it perhaps not unless you really want to keep centre pull brakes, but just though i would show the easy way to make old centre pull brakes work well.

Easy way is to put spacers between the brake block and the caliper you will need longer bolts to hold the pads in, if you look at the pictures you can see mine are packed out appox a quater of an inch at either side even his on its own really helps the brakes

Next is to brace the centre pulls and that means having a bolt welded onto the pivot bolts and fitting a brace either a strigh bit of metal or in my case because of mudguards a shaped brace to go over the mudguards this really helps in firming up the brakes.

Worth it yes if keeping centre pulls but it would be a lot less work just to fit dual pivot calipers. These old shimano centre pulls now work every bit as well as dual pivot brakes if not better than some.

Attachments

• 100_8502[1].JPG
    100_8502[1].JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_8504[1].JPG
    100_8504[1].JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_8505[1].JPG
    100_8505[1].JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_8506[1].JPG
    100_8506[1].JPG
    174 KB · Views: 90

Drago

Legendary Member
Excellent project. Your timing is also fortuitous, as ive just today set up the whine-man 610/750 centre pulls on my Claud. They set up OK, but they're far from the bet rim brakes, even for their time.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember having theses on my bikes years ago, I remember them as good stoppers. I also remember some of the side pull brakes, often mated with suicide levers and steel rims, I'd have got better stopping putting my boot against the front tyre.

Top Bottom