Old crap bike, longer distances - what could go wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what your supermarket is like, but of the ones I frequent, bike racks are very visible in a busy area, I've no qualms leaving a nice bike there.
It varies hugely. Of the 3 local options, Aldi and Tescos (both edge-of-town) have the racks hidden away, we don't want to bother any customers, do we? So of course I park somewhere visible.
Sains has them out front, because they're part of a shopping centre that was designed around a central seating area (kinda). I play by their rules there :angel:

A friend with a car with a big boot on speed-dial?^_^
If you include local taxi-firm, whom you've checked can carry a bike in "friend", then I think this is the answer.

You've got a relatively modern, maintained bike. And a puncture kit. And tools for little stuff. Show-stoppers will be rare, one taxi-ride a year is cheap insurance against stress.

It varies hugely. Of the 3 local options, Aldi and Tescos (both edge-of-town) have the racks hidden away, we don't want to bother any customers, do we? So of course I park somewhere visible.
Sains has them out front, because they're part of a shopping centre that was designed around a central seating area (kinda). I play by their rules there :angel:
caught someone trying to steal a bike last week, it was on a rack right in front of marks and spencers with an queue outside due to social distancing. He had a little screwdriver or something like that, if i wasn't next to him unlocking my own bike i probably wouldn't have noticed.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers all :smile:

If it's quicker to get off your bike and push it uphill then just do it, cyclo-cross racers do it all the time. So do I, bottom gear on my bike is about 43 inches.
Sacriledge! Personally I consider it a personal failing for a hill to beat me; obviously if it does it does but I try to ensure it doesn't happen!

If you don't mind me asking what Job did you have previously? And what kind of job are you looking for now?
I've done various things; the last was retail and repairs. Fap knows what I'm looking for now - continuation of repairs and a bit of IT-based work on the side for a mate notwithstanding, if I'm looking at "crap jobs through normal channels" it'll be something low stress and minimum wage. Maybe outside.. no idea tbh.

Not sure what your supermarket is like, but of the ones I frequent, bike racks are very visible in a busy area, I've no qualms leaving a nice bike there.
Thanks, but sod that tbh. It's not just the potential for theft, but also damage. Part of me is intrigued by the idea of doing longer utility rides on the Raleigh; the other part just wants to buy an older CdF as a shopping hack, but (last time I looked) they were still going for silly money and tbh I've really grown to love the Raleigh. Around town it's perfect; outside not so much I'm guessing.

You could fit QR skewers, in case of p*ncture, or, in the past, I've fixed a flat or two with patches and popping the tyre off the rim while it's still on the bike.
Thanks, although that would mean new wheels with the associated budgetary implications. I do have a pair of ally rims I robbed from a dead hybrid a while ago, but these are solid axles too so would need new hubs. Tbh while a pain I see no huge issue and having to take an additional spanner or two with me; especially given the limited liklihood of punctures from the miles covered so far. I guess popping the tyre off with the wheel fitted is OK if you have a good idea of where the puncture is; sounds like it could be more pain that taking the wheel off if you need to locate it though.

I had a Routier for a while, the gearing range is...'limited' as I remember.
Yeah, it's pretty typical for a 10sp I think - lowest gear is 40/28, so about 1.4 times higher than the 34/34 on my CdF :sad:

Top Bottom