Old faithful; replace it, or renew components?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Sell it, add whatever you get to the sum you've saved. Frame doesn't seem worth the expense of new wheels, gruppo etc to my mind. Maybe give it a new lease of life as a SS?
If the OP wants to get a lighter/stronger/in some other way 'better' frame later, he can move the upgraded components on to it ...

clid61

Veteran
Refurb please , ive just replaced shifters cables and pads on this , been going well over 10 years,now, non standard like your gt , specialized saddle , rokshox chainset too . Keep it you wont regret it
WP_20150330_14_58_39_Pro.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks - looking at that picture though I can see why my hands start to ache after a while - I might get some deeper bars (those ones came off eBay - I bought them for the interrupter levers still on them, but I thought I might was well use the bars too. They look a bit small there though)

Where does one aquire a deore groupset for £50? I'll have 2 at that price!
Well spotted!

Chainset, otherwise I'd have two too.

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Thanks for all the advice folks Think I will keep the beast and refurb with deore level componants.... trying to avoid 10 speed as much as possible-the leap in servicing/ drop in longevity was bad enough going from 8 to 9 speed...

Bits from merlin as usual

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Well here it is in all its (budget) refurbished Glory
Finished on friday evening and two decent rides later the new brakes are bedding in nicely.

Specs after piccys....
gt2.jpg
gt4.jpg
gt6.jpg
gt5.jpg

GT1.jpg

Merlin handbuilt wheels: Mavic XM319 on deore hubs
Deore disc brakes
XT front mech
Deore rear mech
Deore M590 chainset and HG90 9 speed casette

All work myself except chainset fitment and Shortening hydraulic hoses (a curse on 29" MTB's!) LBS

Might upgrade to 180mm Front disc soon...otherwise is feels as good as the bike did 6 years ago when I originally built it from E-bay frame and Merlin bits

Thanks to all those who advised a refurb- you were all right!
For~£330 Ive got myself a tight decent light XC charger again.... which should last a few years on the trails :okay:

Last edited:
It looks good and having shortened hydraulic hoses once I feel OK about doing it again but I did get it wrong the first time so as a one off, LBS is a good call.

Top Bottom