Old Falcon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Find a bolt about 12/13mm thread size position inside bottom bracket shell so the threaded end is on the outside of the frame not add a couple of spring washers and the nut then keep tightening and once it locks up it will grip the cup and hey presto it will come undone

See https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1966-dawes-debonair.236653/page-2

I’ve used this method (someone else on this forum recommended it) and used a breaker bar to get some proper leverage and off it popped.

OP
OP
Neilka

Neilka

Been filling it with WD40 and hitting the wrench for the last two weeks, not moving.

OP
OP
Neilka

Neilka

Attachments

• IMG20221224104332.jpg
    IMG20221224104332.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20221224104340.jpg
    IMG20221224104340.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9

midlife

Guru
If you pull out the plastic sleeve the cage bearings should come out.

Is the silver under the red a silver powder coat.

Falcon went bananas (no pun intended) and powder coated every frame silver. If it was a silver bike then that was it, otherwise they were painted over, often with a paint that was slightly translucent to let the silver come through.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
They should fall out including the cage

OP
OP
Neilka

Neilka

If you pull out the plastic sleeve the cage bearings should come out.

Is the silver under the red a silver powder coat.

Falcon went bananas (no pun intended) and powder coated every frame silver. If it was a silver bike then that was it, otherwise they were painted over, often with a paint that was slightly translucent to let the silver come through.

I did and they're out👍🏽
I'll try the bolt trick later.
There is a silver coat on a lot parts. I thought it was chrome. Rust is causing a lot of it to peel 😞

OP
OP
Neilka

Neilka

I tried the bolt trick, to no avail.
Now ordered the tool for the job.
After messing around a bit with thinners and not seeing anything, I whacked on some paint stripper. The headstock has a sticker on it, but now it's just silver. Anyone know what it looked like originally?

Attachments

• IMG20221227163755.jpg
    IMG20221227163755.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 8

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
After messing around a bit with thinners and not seeing anything, I whacked on some paint stripper. The headstock has a sticker on it, but now it's just silver. Anyone know what it looked like originally?

I apologise in advance if I offend you here, but are you trying to undo the fixed cup the correct way? They normally undo the opposite way to normal, ie, clockwise as you look at it.

OP
OP
Neilka

Neilka

I apologise in advance if I offend you here, but are you trying to undo the fixed cup the correct way? They normally undo the opposite way to normal, ie, clockwise as you look at it.

No offence taken 😃
Yep, non drive anti-clockwise, drive clockwise (other than made in France or Italy, where most are both anti-clockwise).
Don't think it's been out since the original build☺️

midlife

Guru

Head badge decal would likely have been an embossed foil one with the usual falcon, Olympic rings, Ernie Clements and flaming torch. Classy decal but quite stiff and thick. Adhesive not the best and they had a habit of straightening up and coming off the sides of the curved head tube. Crafty bit of "Bostik" got them out of the shop clinging to the frame lol.

Later replaced by a thinner one with the word Falcon instead of Ernie Clements iirc.

Top Bottom