Old fart on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I am considering buying a basic turbo trainer thingy but I am wondering how much benifit I will get from it. My reason for this is that as an older cyclist with a long term back unjury I find that a break of even a few days due to bad weather sets my fitness level back and It can take me some time to recover. Other than that, I consider myself to be reasonably fit and would like to stay that way.
As I say I am thinking about somthing basic an have noticed that they seem to start at around £40-£50 on e- bay, would one of these be adequate?
Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Drago

Legendary Member
Before you buy, may I ask if there is any particular reason that you take a break in bad weather?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Having owned both a turbo and direct drive smart trainer I'd say you'll hate the turbo and find the smart drainer more enjoyable.

If you can afford one maybe try one 2nd hand - if you hate it you can sell it on for pretty much what you paid for it.

davidphilips

Veteran
Surprised that a break for a few days sets your fitness back as tbh a break of a few days for most of us helps us recover.

Nothing wrong with the older basic type of turbo trainers for short intervals but some can be loud, as for how much benefit you will get from it depends on how much you use it?

Consider trying a basic trainer if you buy used and at a good price you can always sell on for what you paid if you dont like it, as Joffey said you may hate the basic turbo not many like them, having said that i would rather cycle outdoors but keep a basic turbo and if i can not get out for a bit do an hour on it.

Venod

Eh up
I use a turbo quite a lot in the bad weather, but its a smart turbo, I regarded the basic turbo as torture and avoided it as much as possible.
I have done two hour+ rides on the smart turbo, I found it hard to do thirty minutes on a basic one.
Of course you may not have the dislike of a basic one as I do, and a turbo workout is harder than the road (IMO) so should help with your fitness.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Before you buy, may I ask if there is any particular reason that you take a break in bad weather?

Cos I'm a wimp:laugh:

Joffey

Big Dosser
As a turbo hater who would like not to be, I would be interested in understanding that?

It feels more real. You can freewheel a bit and the resistance isn't as relentless. It's just more like a boring ride than utter torture.

Being a smart trainer you can also link it to various platforms (zwift / trainer road / sufferfest / tacx training) which despite costing money can be a welcome distraction and make it a bit easier to stick at it.

I used to have a basic turbo and did a couple of hours and that was it. Tried a smart trainer and it changed my life during lockdown - so much so after 2 years I have bought a wattbike. Keeping that fitness up during winter is a game changer and it's easier to do when you can't use the weather as an excuse!

I have done 2000 miles on Zwift this year - it keeps me fit for my outdoor riding which would suffer if i didn't Zwift.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you use it, consistently on those bad weather days, it’ll be effective for keeping fit. Whether it’ll become a museum piece, covered in dust due to lack of use, only you can answer.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cos I'm a wimp:laugh:
I have turned onto North Terrace before attempting to walk up towards Royal crescent (this is on the west cliff seafront for those not familiar with Whitby) and almost not made it due to the strength of the wind. i though I was going to have to head back inland and approach it from the other side :laugh:.

I use a basic turbo on crappy days, I cant say I'm a massive fan, but it does give you an intense workout in a shortish time when the weather isn't inviting or its dark or your slot for exercise coincides with busy traffic or what not. My other half has hers permanently in our the lounge as an alternative to the gym spin class.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Surprised that a break for a few days sets your fitness back as tbh a break of a few days for most of us helps us recover.

Nothing wrong with the older basic type of turbo trainers for short intervals but some can be loud, as for how much benefit you will get from it depends on how much you use it?

Consider trying a basic trainer if you buy used and at a good price you can always sell on for what you paid if you dont like it, as Joffey said you may hate the basic turbo not many like them, having said that i would rather cycle outdoors but keep a basic turbo and if i can not get out for a bit do an hour on it.

As I mentioned. I have an ongoing problem from an old injury and after a few days of inactivity I have all sorts of aches and pains. My thinking on a Turbo is that at least I could keep myself moving.

vickster

Legendary Member
As I mentioned. I have an ongoing problem from an old injury and after a few days of inactivity I have all sorts of aches and pains. My thinking on a Turbo is that at least I could keep myself moving.
Try Pilates and stretching if you have back issues :okay:

Top Bottom