"old fart travelling gently"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Porteous sums it up beautifully. I am dismayed by the number of posts that appear to suggest that once the age of 60 is reached, or approaches, it is no longer acceptable, desirable or physically possible to ride a modern, state of the art, lightweight bike - carbon, dropped bars, 20 speed, maybe, and that the sensible thing to do is look for vintage steel to restore, or buy a straight bar hybrid, or, heaven forbid, begin googling 'electric bicycle suppliers'. Why does this happen? How many other over 60s are there out there who try to keep fit, and embrace the new technology? I am 62, by the way, have had 5 arteries stented, and I have a beard, even - but wear tights and lycra, use Look cleats, and I like look of Aheadsets with stem spacers, oversize bars, 12 spoke wheels with bladed spokes, carbon saddles that weigh 130 gms, 11 speed Campag, hi-tech Shimano ...... are there any other kindred spirits out there?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
youngoldbloke said:
are there any other kindred spirits out there?

no, i didn't dress or spend like an Olympic athlete when i was 20, and i'm still not doing so at 40. i'd look ridiculous:tongue:

PpPete

Legendary Member
youngoldbloke said:
Look cleats, Aheadsets with stem spacers, oversize bars, 12 spoke wheels with bladed spokes, carbon saddles that weigh 130 gms, 11 speed Campag, hi-tech Shimano ...... are there any other kindred spirits out there?

I'm with you ....Us oldies need all the help we can get !

Just wish I could afford all the bling.... and was light enough for a 12 spoke wheel.

My kids laugh at me when I get the Lycra on though - maybe it's because it's the Lidl stuff, not the Pro Team version.

C

chillyuk

I am in my 60's, ride a straight barred hybrid, even wear poncy gear at times, and do you know what, I don't give a shoot what the young posers think of me. It's my ride, my gear, my money I spend, so stuff the lot of them.

It is sad that cycling has become so snobbery driven.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Whatever floats your boat really, I think the negatives tend to be around perception of performance/enjoyment gains. The one area everyone seems to agree on is proper bike fit and bike set up. If that's done well then riding any, mechanically sound, bike, in any comfortable/functional clothing, is a pleasure. There is no link to age other than the purely physical. If your body tells you it can no longer cope with a certain ride position then it's time to change. For various reasons this can happen at any age, as the huge variety of upright and recumbent bikes testifies to.

Though they ride differently I don't get any more enjoyment from my 22lb weekend bike than from my 35lb commuter. The only time it can make a difference is if I'm riding in company and trying to maintain a certain speed, then the lighter bike is easier. Both bikes have a range of gears to cope with any hills I come across. But you can also argue that there is no way you can make a really light bike as comfortable as a heavier one, due to tyre sizes etc.

raindog

er.....
youngoldbloke said:
...... are there any other kindred spirits out there?
I reckon I'm not far off. I'm just turned 61, wear all "the gear" and still ride on the drops, get my head down and go for it. Loads of "older" peaple riding like that here, and frankly, if you rode in jeans and T shirt you'd stand out like a sore thumb. Why there should be an "age" where you have to suddenly act like an old man I can't understand. I rode for a few ks with an old guy last summer who was on a modern lightweight bike and was wearing lycra and we got chatting, so I asked him his age and he replied 74.
I ride a "modern" aly/carbon bike and also an older steel framed mount. I love 'em both.

snorri

Legendary Member
youngoldbloke said:
How many other over 60s are there out there who try to keep fit, and embrace the new technology?
I am with you on keeping fit, but have never wanted to be at the leading edge of technology, preferring rugged reliability and low maintenance, so don't think I will change now. I have cycled more miles in the past 5 years than any other 5 year period in my life, so I'm happy.;):smile:

porteous

Veteran
The straight question is:

Would you rather shuffle to the grave on a zimmer frame or skid in sideways with a G&T in one hand and a blonde in the other?

I can still trigger the 30 mph warning sign in the village (On a bike nearly as old as me), and have no intention of slowing down until I don't have the choice!

The fact that I choose to ride older bikes is purely mine, modern bikes have no appeal for me whatever. As long as you keep fit, my view, and I stress it is only my view, is stuff new technology if it gives you no real advantage over the old, and embrace it where it gives you a real improvement in life!

If others like carbon fibre teapots and jet powered prams, or whatever, they are still (just) free to do so. I may not choose to join youngoldbloke and those who wish to go high tec, but I'll certainly cheer them on.

Now where did I put the parafin, the PC is running out again.

Yours for rum, crime & riot.

PS 63 and 3/4

jimheaney57

chillyuk said:
I am in my 60's, ride a straight barred hybrid, even wear poncy gear at times, and do you know what, I don't give a shoot what the young posers think of me. It's my ride, my gear, my money I spend, so stuff the lot of them.

It is sad that cycling has become so snobbery driven.

Apart from being a bit younger, I'm 53, I'm with you all the way here.

I would put it even stronger than "stuff the lot of them", but I'm fairly new here and I don't want to get banned if I say what I'm thinking!;)

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Thanks guys. you make me feel young! Fifty next year, and still riding like a big kid (on pure carbon fibre and SRAM Red and Racng 1's) !

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I say the older you are the more you should spend on kit, but don't let your family know. That way the rest of us can hoover up some bargains when you pop your clogs.......every cloud and all that:biggrin:

Top Bottom