"old fart travelling gently"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
MacB said:
I say the older you are the more you should spend on kit, but don't let your family know. That way the rest of us can hoover up some bargains when you pop your clogs.......every cloud and all that:biggrin:

Mrs Speck would get a shock when she found out that it's worth more second hand than what I paid for it new :smile:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If others like carbon fibre teapots and jet powered prams, or whatever, they are still (just) free to do so. I may not choose to join youngoldbloke and those who wish to go high tec, but I'll certainly cheer them on.
Thanks for that, Porteus, and thanks for the loan of your original quote - hope you didn't mind! Reassuring that there are obviously many other like minded people out there too.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
chillyuk said:
I am in my 60's, ride a straight barred hybrid, even wear poncy gear at times, and do you know what, I don't give a shoot what the young posers think of me. It's my ride, my gear, my money I spend, so stuff the lot of them.

It is sad that cycling has become so snobbery driven.

My attitude exactly I have a straight bar bike and a modern drop bar roadbike. I wear lycra leggings because they dry quickly keep your legs warm and dont flap about.Fashion doesnt come into it.

As well as some Endura Waterproofs for long rides I also have a set of industrial type waterproopfs for commuting.Someone once said I look like a bin man on a bike.Binmen arent silly,they are out there all weathers.

Ride what you like wear what you like,enjoy yourself and dont be a fashion victim.

wilko

Veteran
I'm 58 and just taken up cycling again. I own a flatbar hybrid/roadbike and today went out in lycra for the first time. I have to say I was very comfortable on the bike, but would feel a bit self conscious off it. I am planning to get a Spesh Roubaix next year and enter some Audax rides so no intention of slowing down here.

jimheaney57

addictfreak said:
Yep im with you!

48 with carbon bikes, lycra, shades the works. A by god I look good:becool::?::becool:

No carbon bike for me, but I do the lycra & shades.

Can't say I look good, but I try to go fast enough and don't stop so people can't see me;)

If I pass people I know they don't recognise me with the shades and the helmet so it's all good:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm 55 and ride with a group aged 54, 58,58 and 65 and we all where lycra and ride carbon or ali road bikes. We love it and don't give a monkeys what we look like.

If I'm pottering down the town I may wear something less garish.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
chillyuk said:
my gear, my money I spend, so stuff the lot of them.
jimheaney57 said:
I would put it even stronger than "stuff the lot of them"
addictfreak said:
lycra, shades the works. A by god I look good:becool::biggrin::becool:

good on you chaps. you should wear exactly what, when and where you want. i don't mind punks, kids with hoodies and jeans at peanut level or transvestites either:biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

Another one here growing old disgracefully, 58, chest full of stents, flies round on a Pearson fixed, wears cycle gear for the club runs ordinary clothes for general running about and intends to keep going until forced to stop.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Fastest guy in our club is 62. Rides carbon fibre Planet X bikes as he's sponsored by them (he has a geared & a fixed). He normally pushes 108" gear on the fixed for time trails. :hello:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Aperitif said:
I'm chucking a post on this thread just for fun. But I'm young...:hello:
Watch out for MacB you oldies - he's after your stuff. He'll start with a sociable PM like "Oh, I was wondering if..." :tongue:

Bah, rumbled, and I thought I was being so subtle:biggrin:

jimheaney57

hubgearfreak said:
i don't mind punks, kids with hoodies and jeans at peanut level or transvestites either:biggrin:

I can't have the spides & the kids with hoodies:evil:

I'd slap ASBO's on them all until their dopey parents have them slapped into shape:angry:

Top Bottom