Old lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
I was thinking about how bicycle light tech had come on in leaps and bounds the other day and remembered about a set of fronts I once had.

They were British made and used those domestic 12V halogen lamps with the built in reflector (MR11 dichroic for the techies). The 2 lamps (1 20W and 1 35W) were mounted in a dual purpose housing that could be helmet or bar mounted and used plumbing pipe clips to bar mount. This housing had a toggle switch that operated one or both lamps. The battery was a large lead acid job in a bag that slung over the top tube.

Don't think the company lasted long with the competition of the American ones like Nightsun.

Can anyone identify these mystery lights and put a halt my brain wracking? ;)

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I've had a root around in my garage for clues and found the battery in a dusty box! Do you reckon it'll still work? ;)

Anyhoo, the set was called the Starlite Lighting System. I know this coz the battery has a sticker on it. It's is a big bugger, almost 200mm long. Here's a pic if you're interested with my phone as a scaling device.

batteryel2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ahem.... I'm still using a set of Smart lights which uses a 6V motorcycle battery! They have two lamps, a 10w and a 2.5w and they've given me reliable service for around five years. However the dim yellow beams are now making me a laughing stock! Having had the mickey mercilessly ripped from me by my fellow night riders I've got a new set with HID lamp and li-ion battery coming from the USA in a few days at a bargain price....

I will Ebay the old set, just like the worn out SIDs I sold for £54.00 on Ebay!

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
It's a 12V 3.2Ah jobbie. I reckon i would resurrect the system if i had the lights and only needed a new battery, but that's the only bit I have left! ;)

It weighs 1275g on its own!!

Top Bottom