1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old lights

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by simonali, 10 Jan 2008.

1. simonali

simonali Über Member

I was thinking about how bicycle light tech had come on in leaps and bounds the other day and remembered about a set of fronts I once had.

They were British made and used those domestic 12V halogen lamps with the built in reflector (MR11 dichroic for the techies). The 2 lamps (1 20W and 1 35W) were mounted in a dual purpose housing that could be helmet or bar mounted and used plumbing pipe clips to bar mount. This housing had a toggle switch that operated one or both lamps. The battery was a large lead acid job in a bag that slung over the top tube.

Don't think the company lasted long with the competition of the American ones like Nightsun.

Can anyone identify these mystery lights and put a halt my brain wracking? ;)

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I saw someone the other day with those (I think made by) Eveready lights that run off two D-cells, where the battery bit is at an angle to the huge round lens on his bike.

3. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

I've had a root around in my garage for clues and found the battery in a dusty box! Do you reckon it'll still work? ;)

Anyhoo, the set was called the Starlite Lighting System. I know this coz the battery has a sticker on it. It's is a big bugger, almost 200mm long. Here's a pic if you're interested with my phone as a scaling device.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That looks like a motorbike battery. So if you wanted to resurrect the system, and don't mind doubling the weight of your bike (!) it wouldn't be difficult.

5. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Ahem.... I'm still using a set of Smart lights which uses a 6V motorcycle battery! They have two lamps, a 10w and a 2.5w and they've given me reliable service for around five years. However the dim yellow beams are now making me a laughing stock! Having had the mickey mercilessly ripped from me by my fellow night riders I've got a new set with HID lamp and li-ion battery coming from the USA in a few days at a bargain price....

I will Ebay the old set, just like the worn out SIDs I sold for £54.00 on Ebay!

6. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

It's a 12V 3.2Ah jobbie. I reckon i would resurrect the system if i had the lights and only needed a new battery, but that's the only bit I have left! ;)

It weighs 1275g on its own!!