Old Lightweight Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Until I discovered this forum and then got chatting to a local lad who has a multi-thousand pound racer, that I hadn't heard about the growing interest in old lightweight bikes.

I've a Condor lightweight which an old friend bought in the early 1960s to go racing. About thirty years ago I went around his house to find the rusty frame and old sprint wheels all lined up for the dustman. Anyway I asked for the remains of the bike, had the frame resprayed in light blue with all of the correct transfers. I then rode the bike for a few years until storing it in the garage.

I'm now thinking about getting it down and restoring it for the second time. I can see one problem might be the frame. The previous painter never filled all the rusty pitting in the frame tubes, slightly spoiling it's appearance.

The Campag rear block is too close ratio and I'd never be able to ride up the steep hill I live on.

The wheels could do with polishing and respoking, and decent new tyres fitted. I'll see about taking a pic of it and placing it on here.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When you say 'restoring'....?

If you want it pristine, you could start by having it blasted and then sprayed, then take it from there. If appearance is not an issue - you just want a great machine to ride - just replace the freewheel, add some decent new tyres and add a drop of 3-in-1 here 'n there and away you go.

Next you can convert it to a fixie...

Velorum

You could have the frame professionaly refinished for something IRO £100.

The fixie option is a good one I think - good fun and it also helps resale value due to the current fashion for these. Thats what Im going to do with a 1970 Dawes I have in the garage.

Velorum

Paul Narramore said:
Any professional frame restorers in the South East?

I have heard good reports about Colourtech in Crayford/Dartford (01322 555549) - very reasonable prices I believe.

I was looking at a Roberts frame resprayed by them with new transfers etc last week - it looked very good indeed.

OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bikes/condor-athey-rb.html

This is a fascinating website for old lightweight bikes; and the Condor here is almost identical to mine. I gave the old bike a good wash today removed the old faded mudguards and pumped up the tyres. She's looking good already. I may be able to get away with touching in the scrapes in the paintwork but the 27 x 1 1/4 tyres are perished. I've made a note of the frame number (MF207LJ25-6514) and emailed Condor to see if they can date it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
No. Don't.

I've a Condor lightweight which an old friend bought in the early 1960s to go racing. About thirty years ago I went around his house to find the rusty frame and old sprint wheels all lined up for the dustman. Anyway I asked for the remains of the bike, had the frame resprayed in light blue with all of the correct transfers. I then rode the bike for a few years until storing it in the garage.

As you say - steel rusts. I know that steel only rusts to a limited extent, and the depth of the rust layer is very much thicker than the depth of steel that has rusted, but 531 frames weren't thick to begin with. Do yourself a favour. Bin the steel jobby, buy yourself a nice new carbon bike And forget smelly, uncomfortable Brooks saddles, and those silly rabbit ear gear levers. If those bikes were any good, they'd still be making them (and don't give me Mercians, I'd rather walk)

(sits back, twiddles thumbs, stares at ceiling, whistles.........)

Anyone got any CHEAP 27x1/4" tyres for a Peugeot early 1980s mixte bike met pink with chromed ends, hand brazed & quite lightweight for that type of bike. I used it to go to work sometimes. Might sell so don't want to pay a lot as I wouldn't get it back. Spa Cycles have some but not in stock for 2 weeks. Great price at £5.00 each + about £3.00ish postage!

OP
OP
P

Paul Narramore

27 x 1/4" tyres? Crikey they must be thin ;-)

Actually I've been giving the subject of old lightweights quite a bit of thought in the last few days. Back in the early 60s by first lightweight was a RUDGE, a fixed wheel bike, and pretty dreadful whenever there was a hill to climb. Then I had a nice CARLTON lightweight with gears. My Dad gave me an old frame made by GIRARDENGO, very light frame and with beautifully sculptured lugs. It wasn't until many years later that I Googled the name to discover Girardengo was an Italian champion cyclist between the war years. I wish I had that frame now.

Oops, didn't spot the type - shame on me. Yes they would be very thin but I'd rather add an inch to that.

I had a Granby frame when I was a teenager, my Dad built it up for me. It had round Chater-Lea cranks, chain set and CL pedals. It unfortunately got dumped in about 1978/9. Pale blue with chromed ends.

It did me well, covered many miles.

Top Bottom