Old Muddy Fox components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GTMA

Hi guys. I'm not a cyclist but I enjoy riding my old Muddy Fox Courier sometimes. I like it the way it is. It's mostly original. It's got 2 things that will need changing:

1) Left side double shifter (for a triple front sprocket set)
2) V-brakes

The right-side shifter is original, and it's fine. Marked "Shimano STI".
The left-side is a fake "Shimano" I fitted myself, when the original broke.

I'd really like to get an original matching left shifter, but Ebay doesn't seem to have the exact model available used. The original is much better than the fake. The fake is adequate, but the built-in brake lever is shorter, and the indicator screen is scuffed up.

V-brakes are all original and they're fine, but one of the front ones is damaged (still works, but looks shabby). They're black plastic or nylon, and I'd rather they were metal. I don't mind updating these. Can I just pick any V-brakes for MTB at random, and will they fit? Are there standard pivot sizes or something?

Don't know anything about bikes or bike components - not going to update the drivetrain or anything like that. But I'd like the brake levers and shifters to be high quality at least, and visibly matching, even if I have to get used ones. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
:welcome: to the forum.

Do you mean the shifter is fake or it’s not Shimano? Maybe just wait for one to become available or just replace the pair if you want better quality. Most secondhand units will have the indicator window frosted and scuffed
Any V brakes will fit the existing bosses.
Is this the original Muddy Fox or post purchase Sports Direct?

Last edited:
It sounds like a more modern but pre Sports Direct one to me. I am guessing it is from the nineties.

Now, there is one thing you need to know about brakes. Do you have V-brakes (where the cable goes sideways between two arms), or cantilevers (where the straddle wire pulls upwards on a cable which attaches to both arms)?

The bosses the frame fits to are the same, but the brake levers aren't. So buy one that suits.

If you want to replace brakes and shift levers with a complete set that all works together, I have an almost unused set of v-brake levers with STI shifters and V-brakes. All alloy brakes, but black instead of silver. £25 posted to you. Bought for a bike which didn't happen.

OP
OP
G

GTMA

"Do you mean the shifter is fake or it’s not Shimano?"

As stated, it's marked "Shimano" but it's not Shimano. It's a Chinese fake. You find these everywhere on Ebay.

"Any V brakes will fit the existing bosses."

That's the info I need, thanks!

"Is this the original Muddy Fox or post purchase Sports Direct?"

Original Muddy Fox. Pre-Sports Direct.

Not the one you're thinking of, but the later slanty-top tube model. Actually "Muddy Fox Courier Mega". I could probably get a whole £50 quid for it (lol) but it's a high quality chromoly bike with good rims, derailleurs, etc.

Other chap:

"Do you have V-brakes (where the cable goes sideways between two arms), or cantilevers (where the straddle wire pulls upwards on a cable which attaches to both arms)?"

Oh, in that case I have cantilevers.

"If you want to replace brakes and shift levers with a complete set that all works together, I have an almost unused set of v-brake levers with STI shifters and V-brakes. All alloy brakes, but black instead of silver. £25 posted to you. Bought for a bike which didn't happen."

Very interesting! Please go ahead and PM me, and we could most likely work something out!!

Top Bottom