Old Nacker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've just got back into riding (not that I did over much before) and bought a new Hybrid capable of doing trails etc.

I picked it up on Friday and went for a ride along the canal. After 7 miles I got a puncture - and hadn't taken my repair stuff so had to ring my good lady to come rescue me.

This morning it was pretty wet so I thought I'd take my really old nacker of a bike - it is a Sherpa YK1000 MTB if anyone has ever heard of them. It squeaks, has no suspension, twist grip gears - and it very rarely will go into the top set of gears.

I did 21 miles along the canal and disused railway (much of Route 41 Warwick - Rugby) and really enjoyed it.

I'm not sure exactly what point I'm making - but maybe we don't need our spangly new bikes to enjoy riding?? ;)

Sun Superlight

You are so right, we don't need new bikes to enjoy a ride out.
I am lucky enough to have a couple of new bikes, plus a garage full of old ones that I've customised, for want of a better term.
The old ones are every bit as enjoyable to ride as the new ones. Maybe not as fast or as slick through the gears and perhaps a bit overweight, but still very satisfying to ride.
My modifications have tended to be mainly alterations to the bars (sometimes by sawing and welding) the addition of brazed on fittings for carriers etc and I usually lower the gearing to give a top gear of about 96"
Decent quality new toys are great too, but as you say the key word in cycling is enjoyment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now you've got another bike, why not give the old one some TLC...no need to rush....get the gears working, squeaks gone....sorted....:sad:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Now you've got another bike, why not give the old one some TLC...no need to rush....get the gears working, squeaks gone....sorted....:sad:

I had planned to use it as a spare to practice maintenance etc on as I am useless with the spanners. I hadn't expected to want to keep riding it as well, but may be re-thinking that for a bit.

I was pleased I managed to get the rear wheel off my new one and change the inner tube okay :wacko: maybe there is hope for me yet.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've got a bike that's 18 years older than me and it's a great ride…

cb-olympic-rb1.jpg

Norry1 said:
I'm not sure exactly what point I'm making - but maybe we don't need our spangly new bikes to enjoy riding?? :smile:

We probably don't Norry, but all of our old knacker bikes were new once. They might not have performed very well even when new, but they were new.
I'm buying a new bike through Cyclescheme because I commute to work on my existing one and want a decent bike which won't need fettling every five minutes. I probably won't smile any more than I do at present but it's a personal choice thing. I don't smoke, rarely drink or go out, definitely don't do drugs and don't have to have a spangly new car, so this is how I 'treat' myself, if you like.
Try treating your old knacker to some TLC, you might end up with a wider grin than at present ;)

Debian

I still regularly use my 25 year old Peugeot Alpina which was my new bike once upon a time. No sus, handlebar friction shifters and not very good brakes but it's really nice to ride.

It's always been looked after but it's never needed new parts (apart from brake blocks and cables) and I don't really understand that, not even a new chain. It even has the original tyres and it never gets a puncture... :rofl:

It'll fall apart tomorrow now, you watch!

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Browser said:
Try treating your old knacker to some TLC, you might end up with a wider grin than at present :biggrin:

fossyant said:
Now you've got another bike, why not give the old one some TLC...no need to rush....get the gears working, squeaks gone....sorted....:smile:

I've just bought a cycle repair stand and got the old nacker on it - gave it her first clean in over 12 years, first lube and a twiddle on the derailleur adjustment screws. Probably be riding my new bike on the road tomorrow - but the nacker is ready for my next canal trip :smile:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
In the end, I got my partner's old nacker out as well and gave that a good clean and a sort-out of the gears etc.

We both went riding down the canals and had a great 11 mile ride.

I'm looking forward to my next road ride with the new one - but the Nacker has a new lease of life :biggrin:

Martin

Top Bottom