Old Newbie!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

:welcome: to CC.
I tried your link and it came up with a blank page with "Bad Request" written at the top.
I would have a look at Decathlon before heading to Halfords.

What sort of bike are you after? Drop bar bike or a flat bar. I have a drop bar bike that would easily cope with towpaths etc, which is why I ask.

If you are in your 30s and consider yourself old, I'll just go out the back and shoot myself then as I must be positively ancient and decrepit. You are a youngster around here.
At least you're being positive about being ancient and decrepit!

OP
OP
B

baxtgk

Thanks for all your replies. I did have a look at some second hand bikes but being a novice I was worried about ending up with something stolen, dangerous or knackered so decided buying new was the way to to go. I ended up buying the Carrera Axle and have and taken it in a few short rides to get used to riding again.

I want to use it for my commute as originally intended but I am bewildered by the sheer volume of lighting options. I have looked through many threads to avoid posting another lighting question but to be honest I'm now just confusing myself!! Having looked at my route around 40% will be on unlit canal paths so I am unclear if I can use the same lights to 'see' on this part or if I need another seperate light for this part of my journey? I was looking at the below but not sure if they will be bright enough?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Ca...ightset/2NLP?gclid=CMG_9d_jlcICFWTHtAodUHoAlA

Thanks again for any assistance!

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks for all your replies. I did have a look at some second hand bikes but being a novice I was worried about ending up with something stolen, dangerous or knackered so decided buying new was the way to to go. I ended up buying the Carrera Axle and have and taken it in a few short rides to get used to riding again.

I want to use it for my commute as originally intended but I am bewildered by the sheer volume of lighting options. I have looked through many threads to avoid posting another lighting question but to be honest I'm now just confusing myself!! Having looked at my route around 40% will be on unlit canal paths so I am unclear if I can use the same lights to 'see' on this part or if I need another seperate light for this part of my journey? I was looking at the below but not sure if they will be bright enough?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Ca...ightset/2NLP?gclid=CMG_9d_jlcICFWTHtAodUHoAlA

Thanks again for any assistance!
Hi again! Glad you've got your bike and started riding, that's brilliant.

I ride in the pitch dark a lot, along country lanes. I find I don't need a madly strong light but that's because I am not a fast rider. If you zoom along you need to see further. I go at 10 - 12 mph on roads I know extremely well and just use an old Cateye (that's the brand) with 3 LEDs (admittedly modified with a collar made from a plastic milkbottle and some foil, as I found it shone up into my eyes). Front lights are better now and you can get one with a good beam. I don't like the ones that are too strong - you really can blind fellow cyclists as well as motorists! - and most people on here seem to agree that a flashing front light isn't a great idea, and is no good for seeing with.

Rear red lights: I use two fairly ordinary flashing clip-on lights - I think it's good to have two as they flash at offset times and one might fail. A flashing rear red light says "BIKE!" much more than a non-flashing one. I have two a bit like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CN-bv4ar-8ICFfTJtAodFVAAJg&gclsrc=aw.ds - there are much fancier and more expensive ones of course. I use rechargeable batteries.

You can get lights that recharge during the day plugged in to your computer (good if you have a desk job).

I am sure that there are good threads specifically about riding in the dark on country lanes.... try searching for them rather than just "lights" and you should get posher recommendations!

Top Bottom