Old paint cans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have several paint cans I need to dispose of Most in a liquid state Our local tip will take them once they have solidified

Has anyone one had any experience disposing of used of paint.Most of the cans are a quarter to half full and are in a semi solid state.Has any one any ideas how to speed up the drying out process

Advice appreciated.

screenman

Legendary Member
What type of paint?

Funny that. Neighbour has or at least had a massive hole in her back garden. It was chalk pit. For a while it was used as the village tip. She was burning some rubbish in there and deep down there was some paint cans and they caught fire. The fire brigade came out 3 or 4 times before they finally put it out. They kept thinking they had put it out but it would start up again the next day. Possibly they never put it out it may just have burnt all the combustible material.

screenman

Legendary Member
As Drago says, in the vehicle painting trade we have a product that once dopped in the paint seperates the pigments from the water, the water can go down the drain and the solid lump in the bin, amazing stuff but not sure if it works on emulsion. Another tip is a local fb marketplace add, there are people out there that may be looking for some free paint.

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
Many thanks to all for your advice I have a bag of soft sand so will give that a try.Will have to do it when MrsP is out.Its her fault we have several cans of left over paint.Works on the principle of you never know when we might need it

snorri

Legendary Member
Pour oil based paints into shallow containers they will dry and solidfy faster, then dispose of these in the household waste bins.
Water based paint tins can be placed under a running tap and stirred continuously until only clear water is overflowing from the tin. (Although that might not be considered environmentally friendly). Dispose of the container in the recycling bin.

Top Bottom