Old Peugeot, anything special?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
99DD47BC-9D41-4E1A-A1BE-CAA680D02546.jpeg
lad at work is selling a bike on behalf of his dad, Old Peugeot, looks in nice condition, is it anything special or just a nice old bike?
From the serial number I think it’s 1987 (Y706........) 8 numbers after the letter.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice fairly standard old Pug , nothing special but they make good solid work horses , if it was me i would say £50 - £70 max in current market state or cheaper

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like it's a Carbolite frame from the eighties. They made these in their thousands.
Nothing wrong with them at all as biggsy says they make good workhorses.
I guess you're interested in buying. Just be aware threads and other stuff are French and non standard.
Looks in decent condition.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
£40, he’s brought it for another lad to look at who wants a road bike (he uses a mountain bike a few months of the year to get to work) not convinced it’s the best bike for him though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
£40, he’s brought it for another lad to look at who wants a road bike (he uses a mountain bike a few months of the year to get to work) not convinced it’s the best bike for him though.

That's a great price for an original one and as @roadrash says it would be ideal starting off bike , for any serious riding might pay to swap the wheels for some alloy rimmed ones

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What’s the sizing of these old bikes? They all seem to show very little if any seat post.

That's how they were designed.

I used one of these in all weathers as a 3 mile each-way commuter for about 5 years with little or no maintenance in the early 1990's - it just kept going. When it finally broke I simply replaced it with another one and carried on the same way.

It looks in good condition and £40 is a decent price: I've sold them for up to £150.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
What’s the sizing of these old bikes? They all seem to show very little if any seat post.

That looks a min of a 58 ctc sized frame i would say so 5ft 10" aprox and upwards

wisdom

Guru
As others have said it's a good bike for the money.Ftom the picture posted it looks to be in very good condition and original which is a plus

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

That particular bike looks line it might be a tiny bit large for its current owner. Bikes bought by or for youngsters were often sized large to "grow into" - to save replacing the bike whilst still growing! I had a 23" frame as a 15 year old and had to be careful when dismounting for the first year or so of ownership, until I was tall enough not to have to worry. So long as the height from the top of the crossbar to the top of the saddle on any horizontal top tube bike is more than the height from the pedals to ground at their lowest point, then a rider should be OK . If the saddle is slammed into the seat tube however, then tiptoe dismounts may be needed!

tom73

Guru
Nice bike I never seam to find them going cheep or even better for free.
If he takes it he’d do a lot worse for his 1st road bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That particular bike looks line it might be a tiny bit large for its current owner. Bikes bought by or for youngsters were often sized large to "grow into" - to save replacing the bike whilst still growing! I had a 23" frame as a 15 year old and had to be careful when dismounting for the first year or so of ownership, until I was tall enough not to have to worry. So long as the height from the top of the crossbar to the top of the saddle on any horizontal top tube bike is more than the height from the pedals to ground at their lowest point, then a rider should be OK . If the saddle is slammed into the seat tube however, then tiptoe dismounts may be needed!
I had one of those around 1982 on a return from a break from cycling. Bought as a utility bike it was decent enough for a bottom end machine. I think at around that time they must have been the best selling bike in the UK, everywhere you went you'd see a few. Peugeot got their market just right with those bikes, they must have made a fortune from them.

Top Bottom