Old racing photos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes
I think that's Malcolm Elliott in the fagor kit along with a Dawes / PMS falcon rider possibly?
The other rider is Emmelle-MBK, don’t know who though.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/emmelle-mbk-1988/overview

simongt

Guru
If only they had skin suits, tri bars and pointy helmets, I can only imagine how fast they would have been.
Maybe that's what the lass who eventually beat Beryl Burton's 12 hour record thought. With all that clobber and a super light carbon fibre aero bike to boot, she only managed a modest eight miles further. :whistle:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Here's some random pics from the 1965 25 mile TT National Championships. Quality not brilliant but my camera wasn't the best!

The winner, Baz Breedon signing autographs
Winner B. Breedon 2.jpg

Baz (I think, or it might be Graham Webb) in the centre with Paul Bennett
Winner B. Breedon 3.jpg

Graham(?) Webb (finished 3rd)
3rd G. Webb.jpg

Chris Munford (finished 4th)
4th Chris Munford.jpg

Hugh Smith
Hugh Smith.jpg

Paul Bennett
Paul Bennett.jpg

Peter Hill
Peter Hill.jpg

The crowd studying the results board
Crowd.jpg

The running order and times (a bit hard to read - sorry!)
Scoreboard.jpg

The results
Scoreboard 1.jpg

Interesting to see the different riding styles!

Last edited:

Kempstonian

I can't remember if I have posted these before but here's the late great Tommy Simpson racing at Herne Hill.

08.jpg

09.jpg

and here's a pic from the internet which was obviously taken on the same day by one of those photographers in the background!
07.jpg

I can't remember the date but it was most likely to be in 1965, the year he won the world road race championship, as he's wearing the rainbow jersey.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can't remember if I have posted these before but here's the late great Tommy Simpson racing at Herne Hill.

View attachment 607251
View attachment 607252

and here's a pic from the internet which was obviously taken on the same day by one of those photographers in the background!
View attachment 607254

I can't remember the date but it was most likely to be in 1965, the year he won the world road race championship, as he's wearing the rainbow jersey.
I'd guess the Easter Meet in '66. I know Simpson rode it a few times, as did many of the big names in the sport.

Sharky

Guru
Here's some random pics from the 1965 25 mile TT National Championships. Quality not brilliant but my camera wasn't the best!

Interesting to see the different riding styles!
Thanks for sharing.

Some great names on the results board, all were "idols" when I started a couple of years later, but never managed to emulate them.
Have been on the same start sheets with quite a few, sadly a few are no longer with us.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks for sharing.

Some great names on the results board, all were "idols" when I started a couple of years later, but never managed to emulate them.
Have been on the same start sheets with quite a few, sadly a few are no longer with us.
Brought back a few TT memories from that era, single chainrings, straight through blocks and all but the very top men carrying a frame pump and a spare tub.

Graham Webb went on to become World Amateur Road champion in 1967 and road as a professional for Mercier for a couple of years but illness meant his contract was not renewed. He went on to live in Belgium and contributed to the now defunct Cycling Weekly forum for a while where I exchanged PM's with him for a while. He was a very nice guy to be in touch with with some interesting tales, sadly he died a few years ago.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Brought back a few TT memories from that era, single chainrings, straight through blocks and all but the very top men carrying a frame pump and a spare tub.

Graham Webb went on to become World Amateur Road champion in 1967 and road as a professional for Mercier for a couple of years but illness meant his contract was not renewed. He went on to live in Belgium and contributed to the now defunct Cycling Weekly forum for a while where I exchanged PM's with him for a while. He was a very nice guy to be in touch with with some interesting tales, sadly he died a few years ago.
Having looked again at my photos, I think that is Graham talking to Paul Bennett in the second pic. The crowd pic shows Chris Munford and Paul Bennett near the centre at the front. Probably checking out the team prize situation as they both rode for Edgware. I guess Eric(?) Moody was their third man.

I just found these great old photos from the photographer Bernard Thompson's collection . There is one of Chris Munford amongst them.

https://cyclinguphill.com/classic-cycling-photos/

Last edited:

Cambram

A couple from, I think, 1956. We had a club run out to Little Stoneham, Ipswich to see one of the early "massed start" races. I think it was called the Tour of Suffolk. I don't know the riders. The first was an intermediate sprint and the wide angle view was the finish. No traffic to worry about. I saw that a motorist collided with the sign that spans the road the other day. Camera was a Kodak Retinette folder.

Cambram

A couple more from the mid-fifties. The Littleport (Cambs) agricultural show and sports day became the venue for the National 5 mile grass championship due to one of the club's prime movers. He was an antiques dealer and sourced a magnificent cup to be awarded as the Littleport Cup. (3 wins on the trot and you keep it!) Well Maurice Ward of the London Polytechnic Cycling Club did just that and the cup disappeared. The picture shows the magnificent trophy. I saw it described on one London club website as being over 4 feet tall, but that was fantasy.
The other picture shows Reg Harris, Patterson and a French guy who would turn up for "demonstration" sprints (to get around the archaic NCU rules of not mixing amateur and professional events and disallowing cash prizes or cycling goods as prizes. I threw out boxes of fish knives, cheap "cut" glass bowls, etc., when I cleared out my parent's house.)
I have got dozens of old scanned negatives (well, a lot) but won't bore you with any more.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A couple more from the mid-fifties. The Littleport (Cambs) agricultural show and sports day became the venue for the National 5 mile grass championship due to one of the club's prime movers. He was an antiques dealer and sourced a magnificent cup to be awarded as the Littleport Cup. (3 wins on the trot and you keep it!) Well Maurice Ward of the London Polytechnic Cycling Club did just that and the cup disappeared. The picture shows the magnificent trophy. I saw it described on one London club website as being over 4 feet tall, but that was fantasy.
The other picture shows Reg Harris, Patterson and a French guy who would turn up for "demonstration" sprints (to get around the archaic NCU rules of not mixing amateur and professional events and disallowing cash prizes or cycling goods as prizes. I threw out boxes of fish knives, cheap "cut" glass bowls, etc., when I cleared out my parent's house.)
I have got dozens of old scanned negatives (well, a lot) but won't bore you with any more.

View attachment 607738

View attachment 607739
Post those old negatives you've got, we won't be bored I can assure you.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

View attachment 607738

View attachment 607739

These are brilliant photos - a good mate of mine Mick Ward, was a 4 time National TT Champion in the 50s - he was the first man to win the National 25 and 50 in the same year (1958). He's 87 now and I'll be going to see him soon - I'm sure that he'll be very interested to see these images. (Mick knew Tommy Simpson very well).

A great set of pics - I'd be delighted to see any more that you might have.

Top Bottom