old Raleigh pursuit recon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
What's the frame made of? Older bikes with good frames are often worthwhile projects.

earlestownflya

if it's the raleigh pursuit i'm remembering from the 80's it was not much of a bike,a real cheapo.certainly not worth building up into something you're going to ride,but if the frames in good condition it's worth giving a spin on ebay.i sold an early 90's raleigh m-trax frame made from 501 for about £80 which i thought was a cracking price.though i had owned it from new and it was in great condition and it'll give you a bit of cash to put to a more worthy project,like a nice 531 or columbus tubed frame.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd rebuild it if I needed a bike but they're not 'exotic' bikes, just basic Raleighs and other than paint pretty much the same as each other.
Nice ride quality though, typical Raleigh.
I came across a small Pursuit frame in immaculate condition (not a chip or scratch anywhere) that I built up for my nephew a few years back, looked like new when I gave it to him but with uprated 12 speed indexed gears (downtube shifters and Sora mechs with a Stronglight crank) and he loved it until he got to 17 and cars came along, then he seemed to lose interest (apparently you've got more chance with girls if you drive a car than if you're a cyclist) but luckily this coincided with his Dad getting back into road cycling so my BIL rides it now. His comment was that it was a nicer bike to ride than his £800 brand new Aluminium framed bike that "shook my fillings loose" (he'd had MTBs before) so I may have converted Nick to riding old 'steelies' like me.

Top Bottom