Old registration plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My friend's father has an old scooter he inherited. He thinks the number plate might be sought after by someone: the question is, how does he sell it? I don't think it has been "active" for many years i.e it's not SORN or anything, it's just sat on the scooter which has been in a shed for 20+ years.

Gov website talks about private plates but I can't find the answer to this one. Anyone know? I think he could just sell it, then the buyer would be responsible for registering/transferring it to their vehilcle. But then I wondered about logbooks, new keeper slips etc etc ???

Edit: Looks like it's worthless unless the vehicle is roadworthy and taxed etc https://www.platemaster.com/sell-a-plate-law.htm

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
Check this first if the reg is still about https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Does he have the V5 for the scooter? If so, then he could advertise the scooter and plate together for what he thinks the plate's worth (assuming he doesn't want to keep the scooter. If not, he'll need to fill in this to get one: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate
OK I've asked for more detail. He's not fussed about the scooter, it's not road worthy so he doesn't want to keep or sell it. He was provisionally offered a grand, apprently, by "we buy any plate", so he's thinking it must be worth more than that

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
OK I've asked for more detail. He's not fussed about the scooter, it's not road worthy so he doesn't want to keep or sell it. He was provisionally offered a grand, apprently, by "we buy any plate", so he's thinking it must be worth more than that

He can get a better idea by going to one of the plate resellers online and searching for a similar plate. You can select to search for the same string of letters and wildcard the numbers, for example.

What is the format of the plate? ABC 123?

gbb

Legendary Member
It might be worth doing some homework on the scooter, some, even in poor condition fetch good money and im not talking a couple hundred quid, seemingly wrecked Lambrettas still have a hungry following.
Of course, equally it might have little or no value.

D

Deleted member 26715

I can see an issue for your friend, to be able to take the plate off the scooter it needs to have an MOT, if it only has a AANN plate on it, then certainly it is older than 40 years so is MOT exempt. However if I understand the rules correctly it has to be in roadworthy condition & it 'could' be subject to inspection if they choose to inspect it then if it is not roadworthy they could deem the plate non transferable. As suggested above he may well be best to advertise it together & let the new owner worry about that, as also said some old scooters are changing hands for silly money.

Top Bottom