Old Shetland photos.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Might be of some interest to @Drago , assuming you haven't become TOO Anglified!
BBC report.
Photos from 1970 ?
I have underpants older than that ^_^.

But seriously I enjoy looking at old photos that show a way of life.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Must ask my brother about this. He has an old cottage kept as original as possible compatible with modern expectations of comfort like a wet room and a small kitchen extension built on so it may appear on a photo somewhere. We stayed in it on our visits to Shetland. It was a decidedly creepy place particularly at night with all sorts on strange noises. Some of the decor was done by a Russian crewman from a fish factory ship stranded in Lerwick as the owners had gone bust. The crew had no money and no wages but the local population fed them and many got temporary [illegal] jobs to help tide them over. They did get home in the end.
The museum in Lerwick is excellent and would do a very good job of displaying such pictures.

61LakfI3iOL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Fantastic!

The oil refinery is at Sullom Voe, only 8 or 10 miles from my place.

The Viking ship would likely have been made for Up Helly Aa. I don't recognise the background but its presumably at or close to Lerwick.

The lady in the red hat is one of Accy's girlfriends ;)

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
The images are thought to date back to the 1970s

Makes me feel old -
My avatar photo is older than that

Drago

Legendary Member
There may even be a slide with a very young Master Drago . 😱
Wearing shorts, with my mates Keith and Kieran, probably getting up to some sort of mischief with prohibited weapons of some description.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Fantastic!

The oil refinery is at Sullom Voe, only 8 or 10 miles from my place.

The Viking ship would likely have been made for Up Helly Aa. I don't recognise the background but its presumably at or close to Lerwick.

The lady in the red hat is one of Accy's girlfriends ;)
I thought your place was at East Voe. Surely Sullom Voe is 25 or so miles away.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
When I think of Shetland, one word comes to mind. Desolate. Like Harris or the run from Lochaline to Corran.

Top Bottom