Old tyres, what to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LinkoVitch

Regular
I just replaced my rear tyre with a shiny new one. Given the splits and cracks in the old tyre I am not too keen on keeping it as an emergency spare.. so in this time of environmental awareness etc.. what do I do to dispose of the old tyre?

I imagine the traditional loop it over a signpost/lamppost or other such comedy disposal technique isn't the correct approach, but likewise dumping it in the bin is probably not right.. should LBS take them off me (perhaps charge a disposal fee or some such) ?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I take mine to the tip.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I just replaced my rear tyre with a shiny new one. Given the splits and cracks in the old tyre I am not too keen on keeping it as an emergency spare.. so in this time of environmental awareness etc.. what do I do to dispose of the old tyre?

I imagine the traditional loop it over a signpost/lamppost or other such comedy disposal technique isn't the correct approach, but likewise dumping it in the bin is probably not right.. should LBS take them off me (perhaps charge a disposal fee or some such) ?
Pass it on to me if you are in the area please.
We are particularly interested in coloured tyres and ones with interesting tread patterns and wear.
Arch collects them and converts them into belts.

Thank you.

Make a belt from it: there are several how to guides on www.instructables.com here are a couple of links; http://www.instructables.com/id/TREAD-BELT/ http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-Parts-Belt/

I use old slick bicycle tyres as safety edges on pieces of home-made dog agility equipment for training purposes and fun in the garden with my Collie cross, and I also use them as rub strips on my plywood Jonboat and coracle, and other jobs around the workshop and garden; all of my cold bending handles and levers, and garden tools have an inner tube covering to provided a none-slip hand grip. By the time it comes for me to dispose of the well perished tyres they have been reused at least once and often twice on none bicycle related projects.

OP
OP
LinkoVitch

LinkoVitch

Regular
I am over in Eccles but Arch and I may well be at MOSI for the transport event this weekend so could meet you there.
We'll PM to arrange.:smile:
:thumbsup:

Think it will be easier for me to head over to Eccles TBH, although not this weekend due to other commitments. Fire over a PM with details and we'll sort something out :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Evans will take used tyres 9 well london bridge and crawley do) and they send them off to be recycled iam assuming into new tyres/road etc
It would be interesting to know what they do with them and where they go.

As far as Arch has found out, tyre recycling places won't take then as there is too little rubber, in proportion to other materials, to be worth recycling, hence trying to make them into other things.

Top Bottom