Old Videos - converting to digital

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a load of old motor racing footage in my archive that wants converting from VHS to digital. Will be following this with interest.

Shame there isn't an ASDA nearby...

The thing is, it's hard to find a VHS player now. I'll let you know how I go on converting stuff.

The thing is, it's hard to find a VHS player now. I'll let you know how I go on converting stuff.

I do have one, but it's in storage. :blush:

tom73

Guru
He did - was well into it. There is a big video camera with separate recorder box as well. The 16mm cine is mainly Co-op video with one or two family videos - god knows how big the camera was ? There are quite a few 8mm cine too, which we're not sure if the 'projector' works - the 16mm one is newer. He also had one of three copies of the Co-op Manchester Bombing WWII report !

He was into TV and audio - even made a TV out of a cardboard box as the case (from components). He also had a loud speaker company for many years, so we are left with his video stuff. I've been landed with it as I'm techy and my son is really good at video editing (he made my sister's wedding video which was outstanding), but I plan on straight conversion and passing it to family.

co-op stuff ? The co-op museum at toad lane maybe intreated in having a look at it.
He sounds to have got into it at the best time when it was new and still growing when stuff was cheep and building stuff was very hands on.

I do have one, but it's in storage. :blush:

I used to have 2 - I had one and when my now-wife moved in I found her old one as well
Kept both as there is a 'fiddle' to copy copyright protected tapes
Never did it but as I had paid for the tape and it was not available on anything more upt o date than VHS I wouldn't have felt guilty!!!

wonder if one of them is where I think it is??

classic33

Leg End Member
I used to have 2 - I had one and when my now-wife moved in I found her old one as well
Kept both as there is a 'fiddle' to copy copyright protected tapes
Never did it but as I had paid for the tape and it was not available on anything more upt o date than VHS I wouldn't have felt guilty!!!

wonder if one of them is where I think it is??
Tape over the place where the tab should be?

Tape over the place where the tab should be?

No - doesn;t work (yes I did try it!)

they do something clever about the timing of the frames so that attempting to record a protected tape just gives static

you need to set up the player to connect to another VHS machine as an input (like a camera) and then plug the second machine into the computer

quality suffers quite a bit but it can work

did try it once as an experiment but never in anger:angel:

classic33

Leg End Member
No - doesn;t work (yes I did try it!)

they do something clever about the timing of the frames so that attempting to record a protected tape just gives static

you need to set up the player to connect to another VHS machine as an input (like a camera) and then plug the second machine into the computer

quality suffers quite a bit but it can work

did try it once as an experiment but never in anger:angel:
Worked for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
That was quick - was it a short film???
Firefox, starring Clint Eastwood.

Top Bottom