Old wire reels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Do you reckon these old wires that have been sheltered, but not insulated from the elements for a decade or so... are still safe to use?
I was thinking about it and most wiring is good for several decades, but... They are often in houses.
These are just a bit minging. Not sure if they are useable or worth stripping for cooper...

Snapseed.jpeg

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
And I'm aware one of these isn't a wiring wore🤣

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And I'm aware one of these isn't a wiring wore🤣

So the barbs aren't to stop people grabbing the live then?

More seriously, I'd happily use old wire if on examination the insulation looked OK; not perished or cracked, or contaminated with oil or similar which might degrade it.

Bear in mind the colours changed a few decades back, so any black, red, green would no longer be correct, and of course be quite old. On the other hand, could be handy if you needed to install something that's "always been there" 😉 so to speak

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Sun light is more likely to damage the insulation than water , . If the copper is still nice and shiny at the ends I suspect they will be ok . You could cut of a couple of metres if water has ingresses into the ends

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The PVC insulation on cables degrades in UV light. If you trash the outer layer on the drum, you'll probably be OK but why take the risk?
If you decide to sell the whole lot for scrap, ask the scrappy if they give a better price for stripped or unstripped cable.

Top Bottom