Older Bickertons? Any Good for a 10 mile round trip with an occasional scenic detour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Considering a folder once again and a Bickerton seems like it could be a savvy buy as a project..

How do they compare to something like a Brommie for a 5-mile each way commute (slightly hilly but do-able on a 3-speed nexus) but with the odd 10-20 mile detour on a nice evening when the mood takes me?

sreten

Hi,

My budget folder can do a 10 to 15 mile round trip no real problem.
However turning 10 miles into 30 miles occasionally it doesn't do.
Comfort issues rear their head if I try too much mileage in a day,
whilst their are no issues doing a reasonable mileage on it.

So I don't. I ride my other bike for the longer rides.

rgds, sreten.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Get hold of 'Daisy, Daisy' by Christian Miller. She rode her Bickerton across America. The Bickerton steers itself towards potholes, etc, has two different sized wheels (16" & 14") and dismantles very small, but does not fold as well as the Brompton, nor ride as well. It is much lighter to carry.

byegad

Legendary Member
The ride on an early Bickerton was... erm... well... flexible. They have a lot of give in the handlebars and feel very 'soft'. That said, if you like the feel 10 miles round trip would be fine.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
I have a Bickerton with some rust on various parts, needs gears and brakes doing too, siezed up, but if you collect it you can have it. I was going to do it up as a project but have given up, am too busy dealing with the sale and completion of my house. I live in Datchworth, Herts.

I think the bike is more suited those slightly more vertically challenged (less than about 5' 9ish). I can best equate the experience of riding one to a Raleigh Chopper in my opinion.

Send me a PM if you are interested

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I have a Bickerton with some rust on various parts, needs gears and brakes doing too, siezed up, but if you collect it you can have it. I was going to do it up as a project but have given up, am too busy dealing with the sale and completion of my house. I live in Datchworth, Herts.

I think the bike is more suited those slightly more vertically challenged (less than about 5' 9ish). I can best equate the experience of riding one to a Raleigh Chopper in my opinion.

You have PM!!:hyper:

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger

That's a very generous offer....I'm a little too far away to make that practicable however but thanks all the same. Although it looks like you do have interest in the machine!

spark303

Guru
I rode a Bickerton on a ~15-20 mile round trip commute for a few months before getting my Brompton.

The ride is incredibly disconcerting - scary some might say! Although I never actually had any problems, the amount of flex around the hinge on the main tube (along with the constant creaking noises) made me think the thing would snap in half at any minute. Apparently they were renowned for coming undone at the hinge while you were riding along. Luckily mine has the later hinge design that you can push shut with your foot as you're riding - I had to do that a few times...
shocked.gif

Fun to ride though
grin.gif

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I followd one for a while the other day, it didn't have bend a lot as it was ridden. I don't know why Bickerton bothered with the suspension parts as the frame as enough vertical give in it to give most mountain bikes a run for their money.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've now got the Bickerton from @seadragonpisces (and what a nice bloke he is!)
For all of it being a somewhat-seized project I put some air in the tyres and went up the road on it. Sure, the brakes could do with a fettle, and new cables and tyres wouldn't go amiss, but it rides well.
Once I've fettled it I shall take it for a longer ride and see how I go. I see no reason why a 10 mile ride should be out of the question, to (finally!!) answer the OP.

Last edited:

seadragonpisces

Über Member
I've now got the Bickerton form @seadragonpisces (and what a nice bloke he is!)
For all of it being a somewhat-seized project I put some air in the tyres and went up the road on it. Sure, the brakes could do with a fettle, and new cables and tyres wouldn't go amiss, but it rides well.
Once I've fettled it I shall take it for a longer ride and see how I go. I see no reason why a 10 mile ride should be out of the question, to (finally!!) answer the OP.

Thanks Tony (same to you).
Glad you like the bike and am pleased it is going to a good home.
Have fun

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Here it is. It's not getting much attention at the moment, as I have a Carlton project too!
It seems Bicks were made not far from me, firstly Codicote and then Welwyn, so I'll have to ride it out there.
Not sure I've taken one of my bikes back to its birthplace before...
Bickerton.jpg

Ridgeways

Regular
The answer really depends upon how you set the bike up and how you ride it. The best part of Bickertons is their adaptability, and it is strange that so many people set them up as a sort of chopper-style monster, which will always be a practical headache and wobble all over the place. You can, however, set them up exactly as a racing or touring bike ought to be, respecting the optimum positions of Handlebars, cranks and saddle.

You have to be aware of how close pedals are to the ground when cornering, and you have to accept that you must never get out of the saddle – but with decent gearing you should never have to anyway.

I have ridden my own somewhere between 10 and 15 thousand miles over much of the world, in all weathers, and on all sorts of roads and dirt tracks, carrying everything I needed for self-sufficiency. For long-distance travelling when you want to use other forms of transport from time to to time [buses, trains, planes, cars, boats etc] there is nothing to equal them, even though some pretenders are more rigid and a more efficient ride.

For short every day commutes though, a stronger case could probably be made for the Brompton as a more easily folded item, and sacrificing light weight for more robustness in urban conditions.

Top Bottom