Older Bickertons? Any Good for a 10 mile round trip with an occasional scenic detour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And fair point to you .... but it is possible that no one will ever again consider riding 25 miles on a early Bickerton. :smile:

Exactly!! There is just too much flex in the steering with the daft handlebars. As mentioned above by @velovoice, mine is now nicely converted with conventional bars, so no flex or nasty noises, and is fitted with Brompton wheels, including 8 speed rear hub so is fairly speedy. I did a nice 50 mile round trip last November, out into the Dutch countryside and didn't have any issues.

DSC_0112.JPG

Ridgeways

Regular
I like my handlebars as they are [now], because I can carry a heavy rucksack on them, plus camera bag, in a very stable way. They are cut down pretty low anyway, and have hand-stops to rest against when leaning more forward, and the handlebar-end gear controls are less vulnerable and more convenient to use.

Gearing is 21 speed, 20" to 99", so goes as fast as I am capable of pedalling, while still suited for any hill or mountain I have ever climbed with it - fully laden. I have put a snap of it as avatar.

I was behind a Bickerton with super tiny wheels going up Blackfriars Road yesterday. It was beautiful. I think the stem had been replaced as it was a long one like @Flying Dodo 's rather than ape-hangers. The weird thing was the rear wheel did not track exactly with the front - offset about an inch to the right.

I was behind a Bickerton with super tiny wheels going up Blackfriars Road yesterday. It was beautiful. I think the stem had been replaced as it was a long one like @Flying Dodo 's rather than ape-hangers. The weird thing was the rear wheel did not track exactly with the front - offset about an inch to the right.

The rider might not have noticed that the locking lever had come undone, so that a small separation had taken place!

Top Bottom