Older Gear System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonettemcm

Hi all, I purchased an older used mountain bike (Mt. Fury Roadmaster) that needed a couple parts replaced. The bike rides great but the existing gears need to be tuned or replaced. The existing system is a 15 speed, I know this isn't used in newer bikes so would it be cost effective (or even possible) to upgrade to a modern system? What parts would I need? Is this something that I can figure out with YouTube or should I go to a shop? Any and all suggestions are appreciated :smile:

NickWi

Guru
Hopefully this will give you a little insight into what you can and can't do, but as I read it, if you have a 5 speed cassette and 120mm spacing, you're stuck with five speed. HOWEVER, frames can be respaced and if your frame is suitable (your LBS will be able to advise and 6mm isn't that much) then it opens your options considerably. Whether that is worth the expense is another question.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just maintain it as is, which means replacing any worn parts like for like. You don't need "upgrades" or to make the spec more "modern". Some cyclists are obsessed by changing things on bikes. They are never satisfied with the basics. The minute they get a bike they have to start fitting lighter bits or trying to cram in more gear ratios. It borders on some sort of compulsive disorder sometimes.
A 15-speed MTB of reasonable quality will be practical for everyday use today, just as it was when it was made, which could well be 25 or even 30 years ago if we're talking about a rigid frame on 26" wheels. Yes, a 6 speed freewheel does offer a better choice of ratios, and if I needed to replace a 5 speed wheel because it was totally unserviceable I would go for something I could fit a 6-speed to, but I'm not going to replace a perfectly functional 5 speed set up just because it doesn't have as many gears as some more recent bikes.

Top Bottom