Olympic BMX - marginal gains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I have just watched the women's BMX qualification run at the Olympics. Two things struck me. Why is the gearing so low, when a higher ratio would seem to allow more power and secondly, why do they not wear skin suits when it is essentially a downhill time trial?

It seems like a sport open for improvement through the marginal gains process.

S-Express

Competition BMXs are generally geared for acceleration rather than top end speed, as most of the races are more or less won on the sprint out of the start gate. I suspect ground clearance will be another limiter on the size of the front ring.

Protection probably has a higher priority than aero - and the speeds are not that fast anyway, when compared to road or track. But the likelihood of wiping out probably takes precedence.

S-Express

Probably slipped through under the 'pro cycling' bit. Could also be deemed as 'track racing' in as much as it's a BMX track that they race on.

Jody

Stubborn git
.....secondly, why do they not wear skin suits when it is essentially a downhill time trial?

Don't know if it is the case for BMX but skin suits were banned from downhill MTB. Not for performance gains but because the governing body wanted it to look cool and skin suits didn't match the image. Doubt Aero would make a massive difference in BMX though as they have to time jumps and rythm sections so not to come up short or overshoot the landing.

Jody

Stubborn git
I suppose that this is the best section for BMX because it doesn't have its own dedicated area for posts.

Er....... https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/mountain-biking-mtb-trials-and-bmx.7/

But it is still track racing so either section should be OK

I notice that the usual format for the cycling coverage is that the commentator knows bugger all about what is going on and the pundit is usually able to (politely) correct all of their mistakes and give excellent insight into what is occurring.

I don't get that vibe from Sir Chris in the BMX though. He seemed as clueless as I was, as to why some riders were faster than others.

Graham

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Disappointing that Liam Phillips crashed out in the quarters and Kyle Evans didn't get through. :sad: Semis and finals tonight from 1730 but I guess it'll be only on the Olympics special channels because there's no British interest there and a British boxer in a semi-final about the same time.

Anyway, anyone want to praise or tip anyone they saw in the quarters?

Jody

Stubborn git
Disappointing that Liam Phillips crashed out in the quarters and Kyle Evans didn't get through. :sad: Semis and finals tonight from 1730 but I guess it'll be only on the Olympics special channels because there's no British interest there and a British boxer in a semi-final about the same time.

Anyway, anyone want to praise or tip anyone they saw in the quarters?

I'll be watching it or the replay of it later tonight. I haven't been following it closely enough to have a guage on who are the favourites but must congratulate most who made it to the finish line after some very hard falls. The dutch guy that snapped his forks and carried his bike to the line showed some grit.

BMX is a bit of a lottery with some skill thrown in. Its very easy to get taken out through no fault of your own.

MTB cross country will be on at the weekend so that should be worth a watch.

Top Bottom