Olympic cauldron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

Who do you think should light the Olympic cauldron at the Opening Ceremony next week?

Personally I think it should be Steve Redgrave - 5 gold medals and a bronze in 5 consecutive Olympic games - in what is a very physical sport.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The best/any surviving medalist from the Games of '48 of course.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, although Sir Steve is an obvious choice, we will also need someone to lead our team in holding the flag etc.

Between him, Roger and the old athletes of '48, they should be able to find the people!

Arch

Married to Night Train
The best/any surviving medalist from the Games of '48 of course.

There was a guy interviewed on PM yesterday, who's 91 now. He competed as a gymnast in '48, having previously chipped a vertebrae and been temporarily paralysed, and having a kidney removed due to TB. He remembered how they competed while still on the ration, and the opening ceremony comprised of all the teams walking round the stadium with their flags, and a speech by the King. He later went on to coach a woman in gymnastics (he said he saw her at a gym and thought she looked fit), who he also married, and his grand daughter is a pentathlete, I think.

When asked about the security farce, he said it would be a great shame if anyone did anything 'dastardly'.

I vote for him.

Ajay

Veteran
There's separate opening/closing ceromonies for the Paralympic games, I imagine Dame TGT will have a star role in those.
My vote is still for the burger-munching clown (Ronald, not Boris), I think he symbolises the whole sham perfectly :o)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
True about Dame TGT, but, still, some sort of role might be nice.

Ok, so, Thomas The Tank to bring the flame into the stadium, the Go Compare Guy to parade it about a bit, and finally Ronald McD to light the cauldron. Agreed?

Ajay

Veteran
Yes, it's taking shape, Danny Boyle could create a drug-fuelled dream sequence where Go Compare Guy and the Meerkats have to fight to the death, the winner passing the flaming torch to Katie Price, she stumbles and melts her tits......

Ajay

Veteran
....Jeremy Kyle, who parades the torch toward the Royal Box, in one hand he holds aloft a golden envelope containing the results of the Prince Harry / James Hewitt paternity test, on his way he is intercepted by....

Ajay

Veteran
.....SuBo emerges from leftfield in a cloud of dry ice singing a medley of west end show tunes, seated on a giant inflatable Loch Ness Monster, distracted by the flashbulbs, she allows the flame to touch Nessie, bursting it and sending her screeching and spiralling into the stratosphere, she drops the torch and it's caught spectacularly by....

Top Bottom