Olympic RR **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Geraint Thomas maybe if he wasn't on the track.

I'm not exactly enamoured of the criticism of Froome in this thread. He is a top class rider and has proved himself a very loyal one. Anyone who thinks he didn't put in a good shift today clearly wasn't watching the same race as me.

That said, we'd have won gold today with Geraint Thomas in the team - either in a break or as a lead-out man. The sooner he gives up the kiddie stuff and turns his full attention to grown-up cycling, the better.

d.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
it is no surprise that he sat up when he realised he was chasing a lost cause. He has every right to save what he can for the TT

He sat up because he was spent. I don't know about anyone else but I watched the race from start to finish and I saw him doing some pretty long stints on the front, notably on Box Hill. He wasn't saving anything.

As for his looks, those sort of remarks are very mean and bitchy.

Quite. Low-grade contribution to the discussion. Not on.

d.

He sat up because he was spent. I don't know about anyone else but I watched the race from start to finish and I saw him doing some pretty long stints on the front, notably on Box Hill. He wasn't saving anything.

Quite. Low-grade contribution to the discussion. Not on.

d.
I came in at 12ish, so perhaps I missed something? Otherwise it seemed to be mostly Millar, Stannard and Wiggy on the front.

And shifty ant-weasel from outer space seems like a pretty valuable contribution to me. If that approach works for Miss Marple, it's good enough for me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I came in at 12ish, so perhaps I missed something? Otherwise it seemed to be mostly Millar, Stannard and Wiggy on the front.

I'm pretty sure I saw Froome on the front every time they went up Box Hill.

It was a 250km race (ie longer than any TdF stage) and a five-man Sky team (ie not a nine-man team like they have in the TdF) were on the front nearly all the way, with occasional token contributions from the Germans. Not a single one of those boys gave anything less than 100%...

Except Cav, funnily enough. But by the time it was his turn to do his job, it was too late.

Tbh, they'd probably have been better off if Cav had gone with the break.

d.

I'm pretty sure I saw Froome on the front every time they went up Box Hill.

It was a 250km race (ie longer than any TdF stage) and a five-man Sky team (ie not a nine-man team like they have in the TdF) were on the front nearly all the way, with occasional token contributions from the Germans. Not a single or of those boys gave anything less than 100%...

Except Cav, funnily enough. But by the time it was his turn to do his job, it was too late.

Tbh, they'd probably have been better off if Cav had gone with the break.

d.
Cav in the break would have been funny, that would really have messed with everyone's heads! Mind you, in all seriousness, would he have known how to ride a break? It's hardly his natural territory.
Yes, I know you didn't really mean it..;).

thom

____
I'm not exactly enamoured of the criticism of Froome in this thread. He is a top class rider and has proved himself a very loyal one. Anyone who thinks he didn't put in a good shift today clearly wasn't watching the same race as me.
Totally agree - I didn't mean to come accross as criticising Froome there.

tigger

Über Member
Sorry - I was a bit harsh on Froome wasn't I?

Slightly, more constructively ;)... I'm just not convinced he's as much of a team player as people think. Stage 11 (La Toussuire) he attacked his team leader - no ifs, no buts, no confusion. He gave an interview to L'Equipe stating he would like to be team leader, that he could win the tour and was frustrated. (This could not be good for team cohesion. Its similar to a footballer telling the Sun during a world cup "I want to be captain and take the penalties"). He did at least hold back on stage 17 (when Wiggo and everyone else looked spent). But the battle was already won and I personally think he still overacted the sitting up and offering a helping hand malarky, just to play to the cameras and show how strong he was. If he was a real, honest professional team player he would have just quietly paced his leader and got on with his job.

I watched all the race today. I think my understanding of racing is as sound as anyone else here. He did the least work of all team GB by some way and sat up early. Thats a fact - if you don't believe me then watch the whole race again. Yes he might have felt a bity off today, so perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt? Well see above and see how he rides on Wednesday...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm only half joking about Cav in the break - he looked fresh at the end of the Box Hill circuits and could easily have made the jump then sat on the back of the group, refusing to do his turn. It would have brought the whole race back together pretty quickly for a relatively small outlay of effort.

GB's problem was being too rigid with their game plan. They didn't have the nous to adapt to the situation they found themselves in on the road (which is easy for me to say from the comfort of my sofa). It's all very well complaining about other teams taking a negative approach but hey, that's bike racing. Why would they help you if it means helping you win at their expense? As Cav said post race, they're a victim of their own success.

d.

david k

Hi
some good views making interesting reading.

i think in hindsight they should have closed sown the breakaway early on so they could control it, having said that they were only a minute off the group at the end so their tactics so nearly worked

still feel sorry for the guys

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I watched all the race today. I think my understanding of racing is as sound as anyone else here. He did the least work of all team GB by some way and sat up early. Thats a fact - if you don't believe me then watch the whole race again.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me already but I'm sure he was on the front every time they went up Box Hill.

d.

Top Bottom