Olympic sports.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

IMO there should be some degree importance attached to winning an event at the Olympics. Golf has just been added for 2016 but I fail to see why. Likewise for football, tennis and probably road cycling and probably many more if I could be bothered narrowing it down.

There are many non mainstream sports with little recognition and participants who slog away just for the love of it.

Why grant Olympic status to sports which have 'other' more important events to aspire to? <Yes I know 'why' but it's annoying>

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Well I for one can't imagine how the Olympics managed to survive before Beach Volleyball...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Snooker and Darts.... fantastic!
Picture the tension.... Gustafsson leads Sanchez by 4 sets to 3 and just needs double top for a gold medal...the crowd is hushed... no! .... he's got to go to the toilet after his 19th pint of lager.

Keith Oates

Janner
You're right Noodley, it is annoying. The IOC, like a lot of other organisations, are more interested in raising their own profile and sport is really secondary to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

User169

Quite right; it's about time that tug-of-war made a come back.

Crankarm

Guru
Is fishing an Olympic sport :biggrin:?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
They should go back to the ancient games.

Several running events
Hoplitodromus - running in body armour
Wrestling
Full contact fighting
Boxing - which became increasingly violent although if you died you were automatically declared the winner - bonus!
Chariot racing

Keep it simple and brutal! :biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Aside from 3BM's usual quality inputs, I would like to see sports like squash included, its a hard game and the worlds best pro's are not multi gazzillionnaires like football, golf and tennis.

Darts and snooker/pool are pub games and should not be attempted without a pint in your hand and 10 in your belly.

Top Bottom