Who on here owns a Sports Jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Grandad used to wear jackets like that, and he smoked. Didn't do any 'sport'.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My dad used to. Old ones would be used to line the dog's bed. The dog would then eat them. During her long life the dog consumed several entire Harris Tweed jackets. Just the wool, not the lining obviously.

I used to wear them when suits/tie were de rigeur at work as they were formal enough for work but you could buy/wear separate trousers which made them a bit more practical.

When I first began attending work conferences, saw it worn by the older attendees at the pre-conference reception as well conference dinners. Particularly tweed. By the mids 90s, the older chaps also gave it up. Business casual attire took over and no jackets became the norm.

However have seen in recent years some younger chaps sporting jackets at such business events but it is clear that it was is more of a fashion statement, an individual preference and nothing to do with the dress code that was stated. Also at the same time when younger chaps began sporting beards and facial hairs.

Bought a tweed just in case early in my working life but a gave it away after a few years and did not use it once.

vickster

Legendary Member
My 80 year old dad still wears his when needing something smarter (meeting, church) / less warm than an anorak :smile:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm thankful I've never had to conform with suits, jackets, shoes and all that. I did wear a dinner jacket with tails and old patched jeans for a while though.

I loved mine during lockdown. I did loads of online meetings and they are a bit warmer than a suit jacket and you don't look like a misfit if you go out with different trousers on. I live in a very cold Victorian house - it's like living in a dickens novel in winter. With the long johns, moleskin trousers, vest, shirt tie and jacket I managed to stay pretty comfortable.

If you are happy to style it out, you will look good.

I gave it away stupidly (mrs667 didn't like it) but I am actively looking for another.

Harris Tweed but not worn in decades.
I sometimes wear a blazer but that is very different from a sports jacket , having solid colour and metal buttons.

Ideal if your sports are hunting, shooting, riding or golf. Less suitable for football, scuba diving , track and field athletics, gymnastics.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have one. Rarely have the opportunity to wear it except for external family occasions but when I do, I enjoy wearing it. Are they unfashionable? Maybe. Like @Accy cyclist, I don't care. I like it. When I was a teenager I was bought one and wore it under protest when we went somewhere as a family, restaurants, for example. I was more into denim then. I remember fervently hoping that we wouldn't bump into any of my friends.

I had a few over the years, wide lapels in the 70s, narrower lapels since. Went for years without one. It's a toss up as to what will disintegrate first, me or the current jacket, though the jacket is holding up well at the moment.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Forgot to mention earlier that I have a tweed kilt jacket for slightly formal occasions. I borrowed a very nice formal kilt outfit for a wedding once and told the lender who had a whole collection that I would buy it if it ever came available.
So and so forgot and sold the lot to a hire company.

Emoticons seem to have vanished or I would put an angry one in.

Top Bottom